Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Mama Physics

While not ever having taken a course in physics (thanks to my underwhelming lack of interest and/or intellect) I have lately witnessed one of its actual laws: a body in motion tends to stay in motion - or something along those lines.

As noted before in this blog, I generally move at the pace of a garden slug and am a hopeless procrastinator. I put off everything - except wasting time. But yesterday as I was trying to beat out the forecasted next three days of steady rain, I amazed even myself (not a huge leap here as 1+0=1 - not a big number but still bigger than zero). I took the dog for a 45 minute walk, spread some lawn treatment on our 1 acre yard, planted nine flower boxes, did two loads of wash, cooked dinner (or as it's known at my house, "compost") and cleaned two bathrooms ("compost part deux"). And by the end of the day I was beat - not from being bored or mentally exhausted but from actually moving all day long - and it felt great!

The next step here is to coordinate this activity with a sane eating plan. I have been caving into my pasta craving for about a week now with disasterous results. I will weigh in on Friday to learn the full extent (Primal scream alert posted for May 29th 6:30 a.m. EST). I will also finally be joining the Y this week and checking out the personal trainer that my friend recommended. What a refreshing change to have a lot on my plate that is actually good for me.

18 comments:

F. McButter Pants said...

I love pasta too. Darn it! Give me pasta over chocolate any day.

Way to stay busy. I also have the problem of too little on my plate, so I can relate. It's much easier to NOT EAT when you aren't bored.

Good luck with the Y and the trainer. Thanks for the scream alert....mine scream will come around 6pm MST on Monday!

Thanks for all your encouraging comments.

Patty said...

Wow, you busted it, didn't ya!! One of my last thoughts before drifting off to sleep last night, is that often (not always)those busy little people are just that--little! And if I spent my time doing all the things I need to do, I probably wouldn't have to try as hard to lose a few pounds. Plus it just makes you happy, doesn't it...to be in control and in charge of your life.

Hey Gigi, have you tried that quinoa stuff yet? it's a grain but full of protein so it made help with the pasta cravings. Shrink to Fit has a recipe on her page I am going to try today.

Doesn't owning an acre in Massachusetts (that is where you are right, or did I dream that?)make you a gazillionaire??

VRaz60 said...

Damned pasta!! It's as bad as having cookies in the pantry. It literally calls my name.

Enjoy the Y and the trainer. I've already screamed this week, so I'll be on the lookout for yours later.

I love that I have a kindred spirit in the procrastination department.

Unknown said...

sometimes being busy is a GREAT thing! Keep it up! Im with you (and fatty) on the pasta! I could eat it for breakfast! That 1/4 Italian in me comes out! lol
:)tj

Cole Walter Mellon said...

Yeah, I'm running into the converse of that equation: a body at rest, stays at rest. Circumstances seems to be conspiring to eat up all my workout time. This journey is even tougher when life keeps getting in the way.

congrats on your successes.

Gigi said...

Hey Patty -

Thanks for the heads up on the quinoa. I'll check it out.

As to being a gazillionaire, that would only apply if I owned an acre in downtown Boston or close suburbs, Cape or islands - which I don't. Sadly, I'm farther west and bought this ranch at the top of the market and now spend much of my free time watching its value depreciate.

Shelley said...

Love the "compost" and "compost part deux" - you are too funny!

I bet you will love your trainer - I'm so excited for you to get going with him!

Fat[free]Me said...

Sigh, now I want some pasta!

yeah, I do a lot better when I keep busy - shame my job is 8 hours on my butt all day and quite often rather bored, lol!

Well done on keeping busy!

Tina said...

Isn't it fun to finally sit down after a long day of busting your butt? It's amazing how much of a workout you can get doing chores. It's the ultimate in multi-tasking if you ask me :)

Big Girl said...

Serioulsy, I got tired just hearing about all that you did! sheesh...

Unknown said...

Wow, you were on fire!
Pasta is evil, isn't it? It is so calorie-dense. When I do have it, I usually make it a side dish, with lots of veggies to compensate.

SL said...

Doesn't it feel good (despite being tired) to move so much/get so much accomplished. Now if only I (we?) could remember the good feeling! :)

Kristi Summer said...

Love the physics analogy and very true. Keep on moving.
www.summerfitness.net

Anonymous said...

Oh I love pasta. I have to have it once a week.

I love busy days like that. I realized that I needed to lose weight (well, I realized it long before that actually) when all I wanted to do was lye around the house and do nothing and even that made me tired! Way to go keeping busy!

The Merry said...

Hey, it's not procrastination if you make a point of putting things off right away. It's ... re-prioritizing. Yeah, that's it.

Patty said...

Damn...."Gigi the Gazillionaire" has a really nice ring to it. Guess we will have to wait to use it after syndication of your TV show.

Journo June aka MamaBear said...

Congrats on all of the movement! Will be ready for the scream. ;-)
Path to Health

Crabby McSlacker said...

Wow, you got done in one day what it would take me a week to do!

Sounds like a body at rest tends to remain at rest until it gets really freakin' motivated, and then watch out!

I think that was one of Newton's laws but I don't remember physics very well.