Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Mommy Wrong Legs

Well, as promised when the poison ivy cleared up, I've been really working it - walking every day, free weights, sit-ups - it's the power move to and through the 200 mark....until my other leg chimed in - the one with all the varicose veins and a new pain around my ankle. This has been for the last two weeks. Generally, I can slap the veins back into shape within a couple of days so this two week business was starting to concern me.

I finally went to the doctor's yesterday and she thought maybe the steroids I was on for the poison ivy could have messed up my usual recovery time. She is also sending me to xray the ankle to check for a stress fracture, just in case my exercise enthusiasm may have exceeded my physical capacity. Not too happy about that. And then the cherry on top was when she started ticking off the usual remedies for varicose veins - leg elevation, exercise, compression stockings (which look fabulous with workout shorts) and get this - losing weight. Really?! No sh*t, Sherlock. Oh, excuse me, I mean no sh*t, Doctor Sherlock. I don't have a medical degree or anything but even I can tell that I need the two legs to make that happen. When I pointed that out to her (in the nicest possible way of course) she just looked at me like the RCA Victor dog. Obviously she's never had a weight issue.

Still, I went walking again today. Push through the pain and all that. The xray techs couldn't take me within a reasonable time today so maybe tomorrow. I think I'm going to institute the George Costanza regimen for a change: I'm going to start doing the exact opposite of what I would normally do. Doing the right thing just isn't working out so I'll take a page out of George's book and see what happens. Now you know I must be desperate when I'm using a TV character as a role model. Let's see if it works before you start calling me crazy.

12 comments:

Cole Walter Mellon said...

The exact opposite of what I normally would do would be an ideal plan.

Thanks for the tip!

Patty said...

You really like George, don't ya? Darn Gigi, I know that is really (I mean REALLY) frustrating. I hope they can do the x-ray tomorrow and rule out any additional issues. I keep reading and hearing that this whole weight loss journey is more like 80% food choices and 20% exercise so while you can't give it your all with the exercise, maybe you can work on improving the food part. I know that's what I need to be working on. Sending love and healing vibes your way.

Hollie said...

For all the years of education they have, doctors can be really stupid sometimes. That's usually the test I put all doctor's through. If they make me think "duh" at all on the first visit, I'm outta there!

Hopefully the scale will keep moving in the right direction, and the pain will go away by itself.

F. McButter Pants said...

It worked out well for George. Good luck!

Tina said...

I love George. I think I am George. Gigi I love that you manage to keep your sense of humor with all that you've been through lately. I hope you feel better soon!

45+ and Aspiring said...

Who cares how the tights look with workout shorts? Do what you gotta do to get rid of the pain. Tell people you wanted to cover up the psychedlic tattoos of your past that cover your legs!

Crabby McSlacker said...

Damn, that sounds frustrating! But sounds like your motivation is strong, which will eventually prevail over stupid injuries, poison ivy, etc. It does seem though like lately you can't catch a break!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm with George.

Good luck!

H.K. said...

I love that you maintain your sense of humor even when things can be so frustrating. I'm a wimp when it comes to pain, so I find it amazing that you can push through the pain and still exercise, you rock!

Journo June aka MamaBear said...

Doctors can be so annoying! Hope you get some answers soon and feel better.
Path to Health

SL said...

What a pain - both literally and figuratively. Hang in there.

carla said...

Husband and I giggle all the time that I am 100% george.
In all things but especially directions. If I KNOW it is a left hand turn----it for sure is a RIGHT.

hang in there with all the dr cr*p

xo xo,

Miz.