Monday, June 1, 2009

Ready, Aim, Aim, Aim.....

Yes, I know, I know - I've been talking forever about joining a gym and actually had the hubby fork over the money yesterday. Today I went in for my photo and official laminated membership card. I have added an additional goal to the one of losing 50 pounds from today and that's to have a smokin' hot "after" membership card photo. I am never going to live this one down. GAK! It's like I need a bookmark to define where my mouth is from my multiple chins. They should've just asked me to turn around and bend over - I think it may have even become my more flattering side lately. It makes my driver's license photo look like Monet at Giverney.

Okay, enough beating up on myself. So did I start my new gym regimen today? No, I did not and that's because I wasn't properly outfitted to do so. New backpack, combo lock, water bottle and sports bra were called for and are on standby for tomorrow's launch. And oh by the way, so nice of the bra catalog to not mention that sports bras generally run 2 sizes smaller than standard bras. That would've been something good to know as trying it on reduced me to tears and further drilled my self-esteem into the ground. The problem was rectified and Ethel and Lucy are harnessed and ready for tomorrow's liftoff.

I have long had a problem with procrastination; even concerning things that on the surface are things I really want to do - like lose weight and get healthier. But it's moving outside the comfort zone that's got me dragging my feet more than usual: new equipment to learn how to use, new people to stare down, getting to the point of not caring that people look, hating the really tiny women who always seem to collect in front of every doorway to exclaim how fat they are, praying for no wardrobe malfunctions (ex: Ethel and Lucy going free-range), but most of all fearing that I'm going to fail. Again. And so am I procrastinating to merely put off what I fear will result in ultimate failure? You know, thinking that if I never start it then there's no chance to fail? Well, that's how I've been living my life up to this point but then I finally asked myself what kind of failure sitting here and doing nothing would be like to live with and it's a no-brainer. Tomorrow it is on!

12 comments:

Tina said...

Hilarious post always! I look like Chris Farley in my photo. Absolutely not flattering :)

Good luck at the gym. I spend a lot of time preparing for new things too and just remember the first day is going to be the hardest. After that, you are a pro. "new people to stare down" LOL!!!

Patty said...

My face always looks puffy and fat, no matter how much I lose. I hate it because my sister, who is a little heavier than me, has this really cool face that never shows her weight. And my DL picture looks like the cover of Mad magazine to me...the expression on my face is awful!!

I really admire your honesty and commitment Gigi! Just ignore those skinny seahags and focus on the most important person in the gym...you. Fuel your body with some nourishing foods today and get a good night's sleep and then kick that gym's ass tomorrow!

Big Girl said...

I know what you mean about failing if you never start, but really isn't that a failure in itself?

Good luck finding all the right equiptment.

And remember, all this will be worth it.

Thanks for the funny post, as always.

Shelley said...

Bravo for joining the gym and taking the first steps toward a healthier you, and know that you will be too busy learning the new equipment to see if people are staring at you...which they won't be, btw.

Just curious...what catalog did you order Lucy and Ethel's new garment from?

VRaz60 said...

Go get 'em!! You are armed and dangerous now.

My photo, both gym and driver's license make me look like a gun moll. I just need the prison number held up across my chest.

I, too, am a world class procrastinator!! I have so many excuses for everything, I have to keep a catalog to choose the right one for the right circumstance. :)

I've found exercising in front of others a lot easier, since we've moved to a new state recently. No one knows me, and I simply don't give a damn. I would have eventually felt that way in our old place, too, but I'm certain it would have taken a long, long time.

Good luck, and have fun. Can't wait for the "I did it" post.

StarvingBitch said...

My mother has never joined a gym so imagine how proud I was of her when she joined. So one day she asked me if I wanted to use the guest pass and go with her, Fridays my gym doesn't have any classes so I went, she went to go use the weight machines so when I told her this one weight machine required 175 lbs, she said OH no that can't be right and only put on 75 lbs. Well it was one of those chin up/dips machines where you step on it, well you can imagine when she stepped on it with only 75 lbs, she went crashing to the ground in front of about 25 people on exercise bikes/treadmills/elipticals...I asked her if she was okay, she said yes and got right back on (this time changing the weight) if that were me I would never step foot in that place again I would have been so embarrassed.

Good luck!! Maybe you'll make some friends, I made a bunch at my gym.

Cole Walter Mellon said...

I think gyms use photographers that aren't talented enough for "The Show" (the Drivers License center).

Good start. Now get moving.

45+ and Aspiring said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
45+ and Aspiring said...

Wear an Ipod or other headset so you can't hear what others are saying.

If you haven't used the equipment before, ask someone who works at the gym or either hire a trainer to show you the ropes.

If you can afford a trainer, do it. Focusing on a trainer keeps me from noticing anyone else in the room.

Hang in there. (I always delay buying supplies too. . .! It's all about the shopping.)

H.K. said...

We have had our gym membership for 7 months and it's only been the past two months that I've been going to they gym regularly.

It was baby steps for me to get in the front door. Pretty soon you'll find that you can't go a day without going to the gym!

carla said...

you should see me in mine. I look so sketchy they check it about 80 times when I come to pick up my daughter from the daycare.
happy first gym day??

err, I mean:

Happy first gym day!!!

MizFit

Hotch Potchery said...

Joining a gym is HARD. I am always afraid people look at me and think, "DUDE, you should have been here ages ago, too late now, go back to the buffet". Joke is one them. I don't like buffets.

I hope it went well today!