Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Switching It Up

Taking a note from Carla's comment yesterday, I'm trying to think of ways to switch up the food and workout. The food is still the big problem with all the allergy issues. I want to go to a nutritionist to learn some variety but have been called for grand jury duty on April 4th and am not sure what kind of tailspin my schedule will be thrown into after then.

But my workouts have gotten very stale. I either take Mr. Scooby out for a walk or use the treadmill on bad weather days. I do a little weight training inbetween. That's it. When better weather arrives I'll be playing tennis which I really love and work up a sweat in no time. And biking and hiking and lots of yard work too. But for now, with snow still on the ground, I'm trying to be creative with some of my indoor activities. Some ideas to burn a few extra calories around the house include: scrubbing the toilet with wrist weights (well, scrubbing with the toilet brush while I'm wearing wrist weights), washing only denim clothes and lifting said wet denim from washer to dryer, mailing myself heavy packages that must be carried from the mailbox up my long driveway, benchpressing the dog (mass quantities of Pupperoni's required), wearing full haz mat suit to clean my son's bedroom and bathroom instead of standard rubber gloves and face mask and using a larger biohazard barrel to haul away the remnants, and lastly, borrowing my dentist's lead apron for some simple cooking duty. Whew, I'm getting a workout just thinking about it all.

All kidding aside tho, it's true - your body gets too used to the same old thing and is bound to stall out if I don't keep it interesting. I'm going to rent and review a few workout videos to help get me through the rest of winter and see how I do with that. I'm still aiming for under 200 by Mother's Day (May 10th). Gotta get busy with that now.

5 comments:

Tina said...

Videos are a great way to change things up. What a great Mothers Day Goal. You can totally do that!

Unknown said...

LOL That lead apron at the Dentist IS really heavy! I had to carry it all over the office to put it on patients I can remember thinking that I was getting a good workout! lol

I dont know if you have access to it but through my cable box I can watch ( notice I said WATCH, not TRY) different exercise classes. I also have a few dvds and my precious Wii that of course I pouted and said I would lose weight playing to get. hehe

Its gotta be hard to find stuff to do inside when the weather is bad. I like your humor in it! :)

tj

carla said...

and it doesnt even need to be big things!
taking the stairs 2 at a time EVERY TIME. perhaps adding in 30 seconds of jumprope every now and then? the addition of the video is such a good thought (Ive avoided the shred :) but people love jillain).

Miz.

Anonymous said...

I love TJs comment--"watch" the exercise videos, haha.

If you try any videos, PLEASE try the Firm ones. Those ones guarantee results in 10 workouts and they deliver! They kick your arse to no ends, but they deliver!

new*me said...

my doc yesterday said her fitness guru swears that heavy interval training will break any plateau :) Still working on mine.........right here with ya!