I've been stuck at this same weight for the past I don't know how long. Granted, my diet and exercise have been a little erratic but I should have broken through this number by now. But in my head, it's like I haven't given myself permission to continue losing. It's hard to describe but it's like I'm thinking to myself that this is as far as I can go - even though intellectually I know I can get much lower than this. I had this same problem at around 217 - it seemed impossible to break through and when I did go under it I was thrilled. No more obstacles in my way, I thought. It's gonna be a straight shot down. Well....... not so much.
One of my flaws has always been this resistance to achievement - some call it fear of success - and I don't know where it comes from or how to power through it. Even my tennis buddy, who regularly kicks my ass on the court, noticed that whenever I come close to winning a game, I seem to throw it into neutral and blow the opportunity. I have noticed the same with my personal life - most specifically, my weight loss goals. Why do I accept less of myself when I'm capable of so much more? What on earth am I afraid of if I allow myself to succeed? That I'll have to continue living up to those higher standards? And what exactly would be wrong with living a life of higher standards and expectations for myself? That I'll fall? Everyone falls but the people who get on in this life are the ones who keep getting back up.
I'm not about to throw in the towel but I am trying to figure out how to "allow" myself to have a more winning attitude. I admit that a lot of what goes through my head on a daily basis is self-doubt and regret rather than encouragement and perseverance. More than any of my other faults, this one bothers me the most. It causes me the most anguish as I idle in neutral and watch others who have no fear blow by me on their way to a richer, more fulfilling life. As the saying goes, there are no lost opportunities - only ones you failed to take.
5 comments:
Plateaus are SO hard but you will break through eventually. I've battled with fear of success but being aware of it actually helps you power through it if that makes any sense! Good luck breaking that plateau. You can do it!
Great post. You've got me thinking about how much of my latest stall is my own mind playing tricks and pushing against success. Thank you!!
I am on a plateau too and some days I feel like crying.....but just for a minute. I feel so great and know I look A HECK OF A LOT BETTER than I did 85 lbs ago ...........but gosh..........I would sure love to kick the remaining 60 to the curb. Patience and perseverance!!!
BUT---------------Plateaus SUCK@!
I love your quote, "there are no lost opportunities - only ones you failed to take." I thought your post was very thought provoking. I just started blogging about my weight loss and I was terrified to start!
All the questions of self-doubt starts to overwhelm me. But, I know it's the right thing for me and I also find alot of inspiration reading about other weight loss blogs.
they are SO FREAKIN HARD.
and perhaps even keep things the same but change em up? same number of calories but shifting the foods? same number of calories but try front loading in the morning?
playing around with your workouts? not MORE but less cardio more resistance training or the other way around?
you know where to find me if you want a hand!!
Post a Comment