Thursday, March 12, 2009

Self Help

Not much going on but yesterday was one of those thoughtful days where I did practically nothing but concentrate on how to improve my circumstances. As I mentioned previously my weight loss, altho slow and steady to begin with, has stalled. I took a long hard look at what I've been eating and discovered some things I could do better on. Given my yeast allergy I had to find a substitute for bread because I love me my sandwiches. And I did - wraps! They are a pretty good substitute except that I noticed each one is 220 calories - not so good. So I decided to use only half. Also, my favorite substitute snack has become potato chips and how true it is that no one can eat just one...... hundred. As with any good thing I've overindulged and am cutting way back on the chips. I can feel a difference already.

I've also been having a lot of panic attacks lately. I started having them back in 2002 and went on anti-depressants - which really helped smooth out the bumps for me. Except that after 3 years of taking them my weight had ballooned to 229 pounds (a 35 pound increase) and so I weaned myself off them - which believe me, was no easy task. Quitting cigarettes was about comparable. My doctor has since prescribed some "panic pills" for me that I take only as needed and they haven't interferred with my weight loss. But the panic attacks are coming more frequently and with greater intensity. My readings on the topic of panic suggest that I am refusing to acknowledge something very elemental which must be confronted in my life. And so yesterday I also wrote a very long and detailed entry in my personal journal about the things I consider to be some of the root causes. And I felt better even though nothing was resolved and probably won't be for a while but because I've put everything down on paper and am starting the process of facing the facts that need to be faced. I am still very uncertain as to how things will settle out and don't know if I possess the courage to take them on. Time will tell.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I dont know if you have these over where you live but they are great and low calorie!

hhttp://www.latortillafactory.com/jadworks/ltf/jwsuite.nsf/ViewSelection/D26AC3FED90263138825723B006A2BFA?Open&site=Home*ViewSelection=Products**dl

(sorry I dont know how to send one of those tiny urls) hope u can see this)

:)tj

Unknown said...

shoot! I cant re copy it from my last post...
ok they are La Tortilla Factory brand Smart and Delicious Smart Wraps. They have a bunch of different flavors too.

:)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your story. Sometimes I feel like I am having panic attacks and they are scary moments, even scarier is realized, "What, I have MORE issues to deal with?"

new*me said...

I have heard a lot of good things about Sam-E.....a more natural approach to emotional balance.....kind of pricey but maybe worth a try. You can get it at Walmart

H.K. said...

I have experienced panic attacks and they are not fun! I've been on antidepressants and also currently having problems with yeast as well.

I have found an alternative route to treat the panic attacks and depression. It's a non profit organization called Truehope, you can check out their website at http://www.truehope.com

If you have any questions, you can email me at hkweighsin@gmail.com. I hope you feel better!