Monday, March 16, 2009

Peek-a-Boo...I Don't See You

I've heard lots of talk about these online social networking sites and decided to sign up with one. Being the total techno-idiot that I am, it took me quite a while to figure how things worked but I'm at the functional level now. I think.

Anyway, I touched base with some old friends and acquaintances and as happy as I was to hear from them again, they've all asked the same thing: when are you going to post your picture? And so on Friday I spent the better part of an hour trying to photograph myself without success. The camera worked fine. The subject -well, she/I could not find the best angle because it seemed there wasn't one to find. I was more than a little bummed at what the pictures revealed. The gray hair and some lines were okay but the extra weight just could not be disguised. I actually had in my head a much better image than appeared in real time.

And to make matters worse, I came across my first love's wife's photo. And she is cute and perky and stylish and.....THIN. And only a year younger than I am. This killed me. And she looked so f-ing happy. I wanted so badly to post a fab photo of my own but that is still many, many pounds away. And then I started thinking about "what could've been....." and started wallowing in all my mid-life muck. Ugh! (Sorry - I did hope to warn everyone with the word "wallowing".)

Everybody else always looks so happy in their pictures and I feel so miserable not being able to find just ONE decent picture. And honestly? Are all these people really as happy as they look or are they just better at faking it?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think its a little of both, we are happy and we are faking it. My blog is a weight loss blog and many of the people who read my blog are struggling with the same problem, so I think we all feel comfortable to post our pics which in turn makes us(well, me anyways) happy to take pictures...finally! Start posting your pics, it doesnt mean you cant change them as you go. And it wont be as bad as you think :)

carla said...

faking it :)

Im being a little silly but also not. the older I get (hello 40!) the more I realize so much of people's lives it just smoke and mirrors.
we never know whats happening below the surface.

MizFit

Tina said...

Some of the prettiest, thinnest people I know are the most miserable! I'm not afraid to post my pictures because they show me happy, traveling to cool places, with my sweet husband etc. Even if I look fat as a cow, at least I'm having fun :)