Friday, March 20, 2009

"Looks Like I Picked The Wrong Week To Stop Sniffing Glue"

That line was of course delivered by the very funny Lloyd Bridges in the 1980 movie, "Airplane!". He played an airport executive/former pilot who in one day was faced with one catastrophe after another, causing him to revert back to a number of not so healthy coping devices. Sniffing glue was his, eating is mine and oh mama, did I pick the wrong week to give up eating junk.

There's not much new here. It was just your average Murphy's Law week in which everything that could go wrong, did - and at the worst possible moment. The good news is that we didn't wind up on the 6:00 news. I will spare you all the ugly details - and they were very ugly as a teenager and his hormones were involved - but the short version is that I was SO distressed by it all that I too fell back into my old habits and dove face-first into the highest calorie coping mechanism I could find. Sure - I've posted comments on plenty of your blogs when you had similar set-backs about how you all should be removing dangerous foods from your homes and getting yourselves out of the kitchen while you "sit" with your feelings and now I'm eating some real crow here on top of all those other naughty foods. The thing I've always assumed was that the person doing the indulging was in their right mind, which is not something I should always assume as I can tell you that I was hands-down engaged in the most mindless eating in recent memory - just doing anything to feel something other than the reality of the moment. After all, how can you talk someone off a cliff if they've already jumped? And that was me for most of this week.

Now that the teenager is off on a weekend camp-out (pity the poor wild animals nearby), I can heal the enormous hole in my head and return to some level of sanity. They don't call it "mindless eating" for nothing - and now I know why.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry about your rough week, thats the last thing you needed.

Give yourself time to grieve but its very important that you dont give up. Go for a walk, do some sit ups, get on the treadmill...do something and you will start feeling better again :)

carla said...

(I LOVE THAT LINE and we use it all the time around my house...)

and Im so sorry you had a rough week.

it doesnt help that we've all been down that road---but we have.

MizFit