Monday, January 19, 2009

Good News/Bad News

Well, the good news is that I've been exercising faithfully for the past week. And just as I was getting a little bored with the treadmill routine, some wonderful snow fell and I got to dig us out of it for the past two days (we got about 18"). I also had a great snowball fight with my son today (no special out-of-stock extra grande mom snowpants required). And as if that wasn't enough, my old tennis buddy invited me to her club for our favorite game. I haven't played in about two years so I'm hurting in places as remote as the former Soviet satellite countries.

Now for the bad news. A few months ago I developed a sensitivity to honey. I don't know why but my doctor said that as we age these things can just drop out of the sky. I finally went to an allergist last week to be tested and am awaiting the results. In the meantime, I have cleaned out my pantry to only include those foods I know to be absolutely safe, which means there's not much there. Okay, that doesn't sound too bad, right? No food=no bad behavior.....except that in the event I get a craving for something that I just have to have but is not in the house, I become the MacGyver of snacks and create some simply awful concoctions out of the safe stuff. Great big mounds of nothing I really wanted but had available and it doubly kills me because if I'm going to indulge, I want to like it.

The allergist is supposed to report back in a day or two and let's pray it's only honey and brussel sprouts I can't eat. In the meantime, it's me, MacGyver, some duct tape and saltines.

No comments: