Friday, January 23, 2009

Discomfort Food

Yesterday, just as I was readying myself to leave for CT to visit my parents and attend a board meeting, I got a call from the allergist and it rocked my world. I went there because I thought I had a sensitivity to honey; first a rash and then some weird sensations in my mouth and throat, which really put the fear of God in me. But what I wasn't expecting to hear was that I had a high sensitivity to what constitutes almost 90% of my current diet - cow's milk and yeast. I was told I should avoid these foods altogether. Other problem foods were egg whites and chocolate! Is there no God?! And by the way, what good is chocolate if it can't be in ice cream or cookie form? But I had to pull myself together for my trip and put on a happy face - even though my world had just been turned upside down.

I am still having trouble wrapping my head around this. Of course I am grateful that this isn't some horrible terminal diagnosis but it is nonetheless going to completely change my whole way of doing things. I could continue as I have in the past and see what happens. The allergist said these foods wouldn't necessarily cause a life threatening situation but she couldn't rule it out either. And if any of you are like me, once a thought like that is in my head, it almost becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy - like reading the side effects of a new drug and thinking that every single one of them is happening to you. The power of suggestion. I miss the bliss of ignorance.

I wish I could cry or get mad or do something other than walking around like a really hungry zombie but that seems to be as far as I'm going to get right now before more information becomes available. I'll need to see a nutritionist but I'll have to pay full freight as my insurance doesn't cover that. Seems like Trader Joe's will be my new hangout. I've always hated to cook, read labels or make special accomodations for myself but it seems like that is my new life for now. I'm really not happy about this new development and I'm sorry if I sound like a whiner (my third least favorite group of people, right behind "stupid" and "rude"). I guess the upside here is that with so many yummy foods literally off the table now, losing weight should be a piece of cake. Mmmmmm-cake.

2 comments:

Big Girl said...

Wow! If that was me, that would mean a huge shift in my eating and it sounds like it will be for you too. My daughter was allergic to eggs and that really opened my eyes to reading labels more closely and being so much more aware. Good luck in your transition and I'm sure with time, it will all become second nature.

Gigi said...

Thanks for the encouraging words. I'm looking forward to it becoming routine. Hope it's soon.