Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Why Do We Do It? Anyone?


In my last post I wrote about how I admire some athletes and their perserverance and likened their struggles to my own weight loss journey (it really is all about me, isn't it?). Anyway, I got some great comments (as usual) but the one from Sherre provoked the eternal question of most weight-loss candidates when she observed that we always stick by our favorite athletes and teams but why is it that we give up on ourselves so quickly. Great question, Sherre! So fellow bloggers, why do we give up on ourselves so easily? Anyone, anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

10 comments:

Cole Walter Mellon said...

I think we all feel defeated at times. Giving up just makes that feeling permanent.

VRaz60 said...

I have always tended to give up on myself when the results don't appear as quickly as I imagined. I'm changing that thinking little by little.

I love Warren Buffet's theory on things taking time. He says big changes (he was talking about the economy) won't come quickly. After all, he says you can't get a baby faster than nine months by getting 9 women pregnant at the same time. Let things take their natural course.

Patty said...

Great question! I'm gonna ponder this one while I put away the dishes, do some laundry and other chores...in the mean time, I hope some enlightened soul will stop by with the answer!

I do think Jack and V hit part of it but it seems even more complicated to me.

Shelley said...

We are our own worst enemy - I try to think "would you treat a friend the way you're treating yourself" when I'm being particularly negative - doesn't always stop me, though.

Tina said...

I was listening to a song while wogging last night called "Time has got nothing to do with it". I need to remind myself of that more. Like VRaz, I give up on myself if I don't give something my all or it doesn't happen as quickly as I would like. But Sherre is so right. I wouldn't give up on my team if they aren't performing to my liking. Go Braves :)

Anne H said...

Very good pondering stuff.... I already KNOW why, but I keep forgetting...it's easy to distract ourselves..and forget (for a moment)

Lee said...

Does this ultimately boil down to self-esteem or sense of worthiness?

"I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member." ~ Groucho Marx

Unknown said...

I think cause losing weight is HARD! LOL, seriously, it's hard, it can take a long time, and it takes us out of our comfort zone.

Beth @ Kitchen Minions said...

Great question. I'm married to a pro athlete and we often liken our experiences to each other, we both have ups and downs and set backs and days we want to say to heck with it. We both struggle with confidence about our ability to get to our goal.

Very interesting

carla said...

I echo what shelley said and wanna add that so much of it for me was, when I was gaining weight, EXTERNAL ACCOUNTABILITY.
I looked to others to tell me I was ok.
I looked to others to validate my being WORTHY.
so, as a result, it made sense that I way way believed in others more than myself.