
Are there any tennis fans out there? Anybody watch the Wimbledon men's final between Andy Roddick and Roger Federer? Well, it was just great and had everything a tennis fan could want except that I was rooting for the guy who finished a very close second: Andy Roddick. I've been a huge fan of his for years and liken the experience to being a Red Sox fan before they won the World Series in '04 - always the bridesmaid, never the bride. And then I likened both experiences to my weight loss odyssey: every year I start out with excellent intentions and motivation and wind up finishing short of my expectations. But the Sox ultimately prevailed and I know one day soon Roddick will too because they've all perservered. Roddick has the bad fortune of being at the top of his game when perhaps the greatest tennis player of all time (Federer) is there as well...but I have no such misfortunes...only excuses.
Life will always be throwing something in the way like Bill Buckner fumbling the ball at first base or Bucky Dent hitting one out of the park or Roger Federer on a mission to capture the all-time record of most grand slam championships. If you were on the losing end of that situation then you know that was not a signal to lay down and pull the covers up over your head (I'm talking to you, Gigi!!) - it was a time to show yourself who's boss (that would be you also, Gigi!!) and start kicking ass and taking names until you got it right. (P.S. Please forgive the writing about myself in the 3rd person. My ego really doesn't embrace that kind of thing....does it, Gigi?)
I know this weight loss thing is not confined to a single season or tournament. It will be a life-long effort and that can be a hard thing to wrap your head around; kind of like contemplating space and Tic Tacs for dogs. But it can be done - it just has to be one day after another of doing the right thing. Losing weight is not the World Series or Wimbledon but the rewards of doing it right and being the best you can be can feel just as amazing.
(Photo: greginhollywood.com)
9 comments:
Have you ever read any Jen Lancaster Books? I just finished reading one of her books; Such a Pretty Fat...so funny!!
You'll do it...have faith
I like the analogy that this isn't just for one season - it's for the duration...it helps to put the whole thing in perspective.
(P.S. Please forgive the writing about myself in the 3rd person. My ego really doesn't embrace that kind of thing....does it, Gigi?)
hehehehe
I've taken a lesson from Lance Armstrong and Michael Jordan. They are both considered to be one of the best, if not the best, in their sport. Both decided to try another sport they liked. For Jordan, it was baseball. For Lance, running marathons. They were still better than the rest of us mere mortals, but they were not able to do the new sport at a top level. I like that they challenged themselves to do something that does not come easy to them.
Have a great week, Gigi.
Wonder if we put enough really good seasons together we can end up with a lifetime of good? I think it could work, but you are right, it isn't about just the immediate period of time, it's for a lifetime. Good for you. I think you're really on to something.
It was a totally amazing match. I felt so bad for Roddick though. And why is it that Federer didn't have a lick of sweat on him? I swear it looked like he had just come from the salon when he accepted his trophy.
Great analogy.
I was rooting for Andy Murray because he is Scottish and supports the same soccer team as my husband. It was all great to watch though.
I really like the analogy too and it IS hard to wrap your head around and it's something I have to remind myself every day.
Show yourself who's boss Gigi ;) Hope you have a great week!
What a great analogy. And in addition to these teams/players not giving up on themselves, we don't give up on 'em either (I'm a Giants fan -- the team that hasn't won a WS since 1954!). So why are we (me??) so quick to give up on ourselves.
You are so right on! I love the analogy. I know of a woman in our church that lost over 30 lbs in three months, she started the diet and stuck with it and a year later is still maintaining.
I keep comparing myself to her, but realize I need to remember that it isn't a sprint, I want long term weight loss, not a sprint.
I didn't watch, but he sure is a cutie! That is a great analogy Gigi, and Sherre makes an excellent point! Don't give up on Gigi. :-)
Post a Comment