
Does anybody know - or at least feel like throwing out an educated guess - whether it's a good or bad thing to exercise before eating breakfast? I mean, is it like driving down the highway with a flat tire or driving down the highway in a sleek, aerodynamic car? I do eventually eat breakfast as I am of the tribe of No Skipping Meals (I do so love to eat) so I'm not talking about going off the reservation in terms of eating. Geez, I'd pretty much have to stop breathing before I ever stopped eating.
Anyway, I read somewhere (could've been a comic book) that exercising before food burns more calories faster because there's nothing in your stomach for your metabolism to metabolize - sort of like being in some nitrous state I guess. What do you all think: tank empty or tank full?
19 comments:
You'll probably get some "expert" replies that differ from me, but I can't eat first thing in the morning. I like to hydrate first (2 glasses of warm water with lemon and a glass of barley grass juice), so I do my workout and then eat breakfast. Eating before a workout makes me nauseous during the workout.
I think a snack should be eaten before a workout. I don't usually do it though...lol
I think we are from the same tribe!
I wouldn't eat a full meal but some type of protein before you are hitting the gym you should probably do, I know if I go to the gym completely on an empty stomach I tend to get lightheaded or gaggy...especially if we are lifting weights. So I always have to eat a little something.
I would recommend eating something small. You need fuel to get your body going... yes, not eating will dip into your fat storage when exercising in the morning because you don't have food in your stomach, but i find i have more energy and more more calories... over and beyond my little morning snack due to the fuel I give my body
I have a snack (on the advice of my trainer) - used to be an apple, but that got to be too hard on my stomach so now I have a South Beach Living protein bar - and about 8 oz. of water.
Don't forget to have your protein within 30 minutes of finishing your exercise - it helps to rebuild your muscles!
Jillian always says to fuel up before working out because ultimately you'll enjoy your workout more if you don't bonk & you'll probably end up going longer with more intensity.
I eat a small serving of protein & carbs 30 mins before I workout. If I'm going on a long bike ride, I also drink some orange juice fortified with calcium & Vit D or half a banana.
If I'm just jumping on the treadmill at home, half a protein bar is enough.
I must have read a differnt comic book because mine said to eat after the workout since your body is still burning calories at a higher rate after the workout. But I'd eat a little snack before, especially if it's before breakfast.
I'm of the small bit of something prior to the workout. Nothing heavy, but a little nosh of some sort. I like almonds. I am also a member of your "tribe"...no going without for this gal.
I'd go with something small, like a handful of almonds, a piece of toast or a spoonful of peanut butter. I think that will give you a little more energy and make for a more effective workout.
Personally, I'm a grazer, so when I wake up in the morning I'm starving. So if I'm going out to exercise first thing I have something small like a banana or a tsp of PB on a rice cake, and then have the remaining 200 calories allowed for breakfast when I get back.
http://hecate-metamorphosis.blogspot.com
I'm not an expert, but I have exercised for years on an empty stomach with no ill effects!
I do get up early though and exercise before a traditional breakfast time.
When I first started my journey to lose 150 lbs first thing in the morning was my best time to exercise, so I did it without eating first. It works for me!
I'm in the snack camp. I can't exercise on a full stomach, but just a bit (1/2 a banana) works for me.
Eat just a little something for fuel...if you eat too much you'll barf during your workout...and make SURE you drink a protein water/ eat some protein right after for your muscles.
Check this out, you'll get all the information you need to know about this question from Bob Harper & Jillian Michaels on the show The Drs.
http://tinyurl.com/mynuds
Scroll down to the 3rd video clip and the question comes up at 2 min 5 secs into the video and runs until about 3 min 20 secs.
In the Army, we worked out before breakfast. It seemed to work out better that way. But I like to have a little bite of something first - just a bite or two!
I've heard both from convincing sources. I saw small snack with protein and carbs before and a small snack of protein and carbs after (small handful of nuts and dried fruit). I think you are supposed to eat within 15 minutes of working out...
I find if I don't eat at least a slice of toast before I workout that I come home ravenous and overeat.
I find the thought of solid food first thing in the morning kinda gross, so I have a little orange juice and 12 ounces of heated nonfat milk in my (gargantuan) mug of coffee. Gets me through a workout and I'm superstitious about muscle formation needing a little protein help. Then I eat a whole 2nd breakfast after the workout.
However, I think everyone's different (regardless of what the Breakfast Nazis say) and I think the best thing to do is try it both ways and see what works for you!
I say DO WHAT YOU WILL REALLY DO.
for me I never eat as I get up and grab coffee and hit the bike.
if I were to have my workout time even an HOUR later Id need fuel.
IMO we all need to listen to our bods and act accordingly.
if you feel like "holy moly I can barely make it through this" then try adding in a snack.
and (I know. Im yammering :)) for me I could NOT ever lift weights without food first.
I need fuel for that no matter the time of day!
MizFit
Post a Comment