Thursday, July 16, 2009

One of Those Days


It has been a frustrating morning. First off, I had to go to the local hospital for a barium swallow x-ray. Sounds like some nefarious character from a Batman movie, doesn't it? Barium Swallow and his sidekick, Phlegm Maxim. The hospital is only about 10 minutes away but every major road that leads there is under heavy duty construction - as if the drivers in Massachusetts need another reason for road rage. The x-ray assistant was sweet as could be and that's probably to offset the asshole doctor he was working with. The doc did not speak English well at all and so when he wanted me to move or cough and I couldn't understand him, he started manhandling me and shoving me around. He had the bedside manner of a jackhammer. Okay, so having my gums scraped seemed pleasant in comparison but it eventually came to an end.

Next, on to the mall to return some stuff and continue my quest for a pink tee-shirt and some decent workout clothes. While roaming through JC Penney, a woman who appeared to be a sales lady asked how I was doing. My guard went up immediately as I know the sales ladies don't have that kind of down-time to saunter through the lingerie department. And I was right. She was a roving credit card solicitor - did I have a JCP card? No. Would you like one? No. Are you sure? Excuse me but did I stutter - I said NO! I literally had to put my arm out to give her a phsyical cue to shut the f up and move along. Great - now they have face-to-face telemarketers with instructions not to take no for an answer the first 12 times they hear it. Yet another reason to shop online.

Next on to Sears where I always ask myself the same question when it comes to finding larger size clothing there: is there any other place on earth where so much crap is stuffed in to such a small space? Clearly, this is where crap goes to die.

I came home feeling like I had ants crawling on the inside of my skin. It was just one of those days. I ate a decent lunch but must confess I ate a little more than I should have. Comforting myself with food is a hard habit to break but I caught myself before any real harm was done. So now I'll just have to sit with these feelings until they pass; say around December. But at least I won't have the added frustration of having chosen food over feelings. I'm sure I'll feel good about that when my ears stop venting steam.

12 comments:

Tina said...

Sounds like a lovely day ;) Hope you have cooled off a little. I was shopping at lunch for a white cardigan so I don't have to show my fat arms at a Gala tomorrow night. I totally hear you on the crappy selection. Hope the day gets better!

Cole Walter Mellon said...

Turn that frown upside-down. Let a smile be your umb...owwwwwww... stop that... that hurt...if you do that one more time, I'm gonna... owwwwwwww... that does it, I'm outta here.

Laura Ward *aka Zaababy* said...

enjoying your blog--keep up the good work!

VRaz60 said...

Face to face telemarketing. Guess that's what has come about due to the "Do Not Call List". Altho' I'm not sure the do not call list is all that effective anymore. Everyone seems to find a way around it.

Hope your day is improving and that the steam eruption from your ears didn't increase the humidity in your neighborhood.

Erin and Matt said...

I despise the mall. Both for the crazy solicitors (if it's not the credit card offers, its the folks at the kiosks that want to sell you the world's greatest hand cream or hair straightener), and b/c it's jammed full of junk, and i never find anything i like! >:-O

Anonymous said...

sounds like you need to take some time to yourself later! Bubble bath maybe? Nice walk? Hope the feeling from today subside and you are back to normal soon

F. McButter Pants said...

I was a licensed nurse for 17 years, and I have found that most doctors think they are GOD. They are not, they are just jackasses....lol. If you can find one that is smart with a good side manner...keep him!

Seriously...rovong credit card people. they really hard up!

Tomorrow is a new day!!

Unknown said...

I hate pushy sales people AND crowded stores- I need space between clothing racks! lol

Anne H said...

Where crap goes to die...

Patty said...

So I hope the hospital visit isn't becasue of something too serious, painful or scary Gigi. That sounds awful.

But what a great job not turning to food in the anger and frustration...you really will feel good about that!

Have a great weekend!

H.K. said...

It's bad enough when you have to order food from someone that you can hardly understand, but when you have a doctor like that too...and a face to face telemarketer, big groan!

Any day without binging is a good day, so if you ate a little more that's okay. You didn't stuff yourself & that's a big triumph!

The Merry said...

Shows you how long it's been since I set foot in a mall... I didn't know they had evil telemarketers roaming the aisles. (Mental note: bring iPod to the mall if must go.)

Have you considered imitating that doctor when you're shopping? If someone comes up to you with that salesperson's gleam in their eye, respond to any questions they ask by speaking in Serbo-Croat. (Of course, this entails learning an exotic language before venturing into a mall, but it might come in handy some other time as well ;)