Not that Oprah and anyone associated with her needs any additional mention as they are all quite capable of promoting themselves without my help, but I read an article in O magazine by Martha Beck entitled, "The Easier Way to Diet". In the old days I would immediately buy up ANY magazine that held the promise of miracle diets and/or exercise. It was like emotional meth. I just HAD to have it and discover how the newly thin did it, rather than taking stock of my own life. Cut and paste what they had done right over what I was - and still am - doing wrong.
I know all the proper diet and exercise that's required to lose weight. I have intellectualized all of that but have not but it in motion. I have the means but not the mojo. Beck's article claims that you can "relax" your way to a normal weight. Hmmm - no sweat, diet or humiliation involved? I'm in!! Okay, that's oversimplifying it but suffice to say that some of us horizontally challenged folks have a bigger problem in our heads versus in our butts. I get what she's saying about not placing endless pressure on ourselves by trying to force the physical and nutritional equations on us when mentally we're not ready. It's like trying to loosen a tight knot when someone's still pulling on it. It's just not going to happen. You've got to loosen the pull on it first before you can untie the knot/lose the weight - which makes perfect sense to me.
So among other things on my plate (there go the food references again!) I'm going to try to figure out a way to lighten up emotionally as I believe that's where the crux of my problem is. For me it's filling the void with something other than food and I have come up with a "Plan"; which I'm still developing and not quite prepared to write about just now but will update as to its progress. I hope it will help me deal with my biggest issue: living up to my potential. I've underwhelmed myself with what I've accomplished lately and it's time for a change. Once I start utilizing the skills I have and were meant to develop, the happier I'll be, the weight will melt away.
What do you think - does this make any sense to you?
14 comments:
Oh I know how you feel. I read that article too. It's not about food. I wish it was. It would make things lots easier.
You will find your mojo. Like Roxie says.....when your head's in the right place, your ass will follow.
hummm interesting. I was asked the other day by a fellow weight watchers member how I manage to stay away from crap. lol I think I look at food differently, I feel I have a better relationship with food these days. Maybe that is where I "relaxed" lol I dunno. :)
I totally know what you're talking about! When I look back at why my weight keeps fluctuating and I realize it's all about my attitude and emotions, I let it get in the way.
That article sounds interesing, so I'll check it out!
Amen Gigi. I over-think it all and end up failing because of it. I'm such an all or nothing person!
It sounds a bit airy-fairy to me, although I do know that a lot of this journey is psychology.
I certainly am not relaxed about it - it is being relaxed about food that got me into this mess in the first place, lol!
Seriously, it sounds as if it may work with a bit of luck.
Makes perfect sense to me. My mom always tells me you can't bring on something new if you are so tightly gripped around what you already have. So, let go and relax about the wieghtloss and do what you know needs to be done. Eat right and exercise. But then again, much easier said than done.
Another blogger was talking about how losing weight wasn't going to change anything. She would still be unhappy so why should she lose weight? I think there is so much truth in that...she could physically force the weight loss, but her your heart, she knows that isn't going to change her level of happiness, so what's the point. Ever since reading her post, I have been thinking that the load we carry is directly related to the "load" we carry. I think you may be on to something Gigi. And I can't wait to hear what it is!
:-)
Hey Mama....you hve gotten some nice feedback on the quote you left on my comments today.
Thanks for all you wonderful advice and encouragment.
You rock!
I need to read that as I adore all things martha beck and aggree with her 99.999999% of the time.
The mag is waiting for me.
On my stationary bike.
For this morning.
I hope :)
I think I am really lucky as I have spent the last five years or so figuring out why I am fat before ever trying to lose weight. The quickest I have seen it done was on the biggest loser with jillian micheals. She is just pushing this woman mercilessly with exercise and then when the girl is near muscle failure, she asks her "why are fat". It was one of those moments when someone just gets it, the girl used her fat as her safety blanket for rejection. I don't think anyone should try to lose weight without figuring out why they got fat in the first place. Figure it out and fix it. Then lose the weight, which takes a great deal of concentration by the way. Good post.
chris
That's a really interesting analogy, the knot that's still being pulled on.
Good luck with your new plan for dealing with the emotional issues... will be curious to find out what it is/how it works!
I, for one, am staying tuned to this "station" for updates on "Gigi's New Plan". I think you're on to something, and I'd like to be in on the ground floor.
I need a swift kick somewhere that hurts to get myself back into a better groove. Just knowing, and admitting I'm a "cheater" isn't the way to go, I'm sure. I need to get down to business.
Keep us updated!!!
Yes, you can have all the intellectual knowledge in the world about weight loss, but it doesn't do a thing until you take ACTION! Every day we have many choices to make about what we put in our mouths and whether we sit on our butt all day or get up and MOVE! Can't wait to hear what you're going to act on! :-)
Path to Health
Kind of scary...but it made sense to me!
Post a Comment