Friday, June 26, 2009

Paying Myself Forward

I was going to blow off the gym today in favor of mowing the foot-long grass that has grown in the almost constant rain of the past 1 1/2 weeks. (Looks like I picked the wrong week to put down fertilizer.) However, forecasts being an imperfect thing (it was supposed to be sunny yesterday and today) it only looks like I'll have enough time to harvest the mushrooms off the siding of my house before rain drops begin falling again. Plus, St. Patrick hasn't shown up yet to drive off the snakes (yes, snakes) so off to the gym I went.

I felt strangely invigorated this morning - something that almost never happens before coffee and my hit of speed (just kidding about the coffee). But here's the really weird part - I think this feeling sprang from the even less occurring freak moments of actually having done some good things for myself this past week. I know - hard to believe but it's true. As suggested by everyone's friend, MizFit, I started cleaning the hell out of my cluttered spaces (my brain being the obvious exception) and the place almost feels livable again. (You know the place is spic and span when the teenager complains about it and the Department of Health removes that pesky little notice from the front door.) I also forced myself to go clothes shopping and buy stuff for its style and color and how good it made me look (comparatively speaking) instead of for the simple fact that it fit and would emit relatively few toxic fumes when burned. And of course the best thing of all is that I've been visiting the gym on a regular basis.

All these things combined - after a long enough spell - start multiplying faster than "Law & Order" spin-offs. Doing good for ourselves tends to become its own force of nature and propel us toward the right path. I hope this isn't just some hormonal surge going on today but rather a firm shove in the right direction. Time will tell.

Have a great weekend!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so wish I had that attitude today!

VRaz60 said...

Ambition running amuk!! I'm impressed and, I must admit, a little envious. I am consumed with lethargy today. Don't even have the energy to type more than comments....too damned lazy to even type my own blog entry. :(

Big Girl said...

Oh yeah for you! I'm so happy. Keep the mojo happening.

Have a great weekend!

Lee said...

Yaay, Gigi! You are definitely worth every loving thing you do for yourself.

Have a great weekend!

Crabby McSlacker said...

Lee said it perfectly!

Sounds like you've got some great momentum going.

And at last we got a nice sunny day on the cape yesterday (Sat), hope it was equally nice where you are. Because one more day of crappy weather and I was about ready to move to California. (NOT. I do love it here.)

The Merry said...

Snakes? SNAKES? Yikes.

I say let the grass grow. The snakes can deal with it.

carla said...

heres hoping the motivation and mojo is still running MONDAY STRONG!!

MizFit

Erin and Matt said...

Congratulations! You're so right that the positive events start snowballing and we get on a roll in the right direction. :)