Thanks to everyone who commented about my dilemma last week. Your good wishes were truly appreciated. Turns out it was merely an orange alert and not the red alert I was anticipating. Still.....just because we dodged this bullet doesn't mean there's not one out there with our name on it. But enough Charlie Brown-isms - the crisis has passed for now.
I went to the gym this morning to do some weights and was a little bummed out that so many men were there at the same time. Last week I practically had the place to myself, which is just how I like it when I'm stuffing 10 pounds of flour into my 5 pound sack (otherwise know as "stretchy gym clothes"). I am still very self-conscious as it seems I am the biggest one there and feel as if I draw attention to myself based on that fact alone. It's probably just my imagination. But as I did the hip abductor/adductor machine (should be called "OB/gym" for the oh so ladylike spread eagle positioning required), I could not help but feel as if I were getting my annual pap smear and the doctor had left the exam room door wide open (among other things) for all to see. Sheesh - could we at least get a curtain installed or something? Maybe a little apron for us matronly types who still know what an apron is. I was just waiting for someone to yell, "Slide down". Luckily, a gym bunny was prancing about the weight room in full midriff as I began my second set of reps and I could've set my hair on fire and no one would've noticed at that point. I guess these girls do serve some purpose after all.
I began and ended the workout on the elliptical and even though Ethel and Lucy stayed relatively safe and secure in their baby car seats, I found that I next need to tack down my iPod as I currently have it on a lanyard and it is defying gravity in true NASA form. Houston, we have a problem. Maybe I'll get one of the arm attachments, although then I'd have to find an anti-flapping device for the rest of my arm.
I haven't reported my weight in a while and it's because I seem to be in some bizarre menopausal hormone spin cycle that mimics PMS symptoms - only instead of lasting a couple of days, it has been almost a month of sore boobs and wild mood/ weight swings. So to take a little pressure off myself I have stopped visiting the scale. But if you see one flying past your window you'll know where it came from.
9 comments:
ahh all of the reasons I dont join a gym! lol I hated the feeling- and got all of those feeling back when I read your post! lol I applaud you for going, and kicking ass!!! :)
I was never a fan of those ipod arm bands- mostly because I didnt think they made one large enough for me- when I get my blood pressure taken they have to get the extender( OH! but that was 55 pounds ago! I will see what they use tomorrow when I hit the Dr. Office!! ) lol
:)
Glad the crisis is over...whew! You have been on my mind a lot.
I had a month like that last year! And that is when I hit my high weight. Even my Ethel and Lucy wannabes were so sore, I wanted them removed! I wish I knew for sure what finally fixed it, but I don't. Maybe it just finally passed, but I have a strong suspicion that I had started trying to eat healthier and that helped. We were doing some major remodeling and eating sandwiches and chips and all kinds of crap, so as soon as we stopped that...things seemed to start improving. I bet your workouts will help.
Glad you found a use for the gym bunnies!
I can so relate to your hormonal woes! Being a girl is not for sissies (is that the right spelling)
Probably is wise move to leave the scales alone for a couple of weeks. Focus on how you feel.
Thanks for all your encouragement. Your comments are always good for a laugh. And who doesn't like to laugh!
Just need to say how much I enjoy your blogs - your visuals leave me laughing each time I read them.
Thanks!
hey... good for you for making it to the gym. I'll make sure and duck in time for that scale that maybe flying past me.
LOL, I hate being the fattest there at the gym too. Oh, I hadn't realised that is why they install those pretty girls - thank goodness for the distraction.
The ob/gyn machine is a bit embarassing isn't it? A modesty panel would be most helpful. I will suggest it!
I do have an armband for my iPod and feed the wire through my bra and t-shirt for extra security, but I do get in a tangle if I forget when it is time to change!
Ah, the hormoan (sic) that is the meno - I swear I have been premenstural for the last two years. Actually, now I think about it, I am gradually feeling a bit better - the exercise does seem to work, then. Woo-hoo!
Love your post, it made me giggle!
I work out the gym too and would do anything to have a home gym! I also feel self conscious working out on the hip abductor, it just seems like an obscene workout, especially when there are men near by!
Yeah, that inner thigh machine is like an invitation. sooo wrong.
I wouldn't be so self conscious at the gym....Your are there for a reason and who cares what "they" think. But I would have had to trip the gym bunny that walked by... ;-)
I hate it when the weight/sore boobs/mood swings fluctuate longer than necessary. Not that ANY of it is necessary!
Post a Comment