Thursday, April 16, 2009

To Hell and Back...Without a Snack

I'm always joking with friends about how my 13 year old son's antics are going to wind us up on the 6:00 news with the State Police Crime Lab van parked on our front lawn and the small gathering of our neighbors telling the reporters how we kept mostly to ourselves but seemed like quiet, nice people. And last night it really almost happened.

After yet another battle over homework yesterday afternoon, my son stormed out of the house and into the woods past our back yard. Hah - he'll be back, I thought, grateful for the sudden quiet and tranquility in my house. An hour and a half passed and it was already 6:30 and he hadn't returned and no one had seen him. I called the police because night was starting to fall and if he were still in those woods it would be a very bad thing. He's stormed off before but always returned shortly after realizing I wasn't running after him. Three squad cars arrived and they talked about setting up a "perimeter" and also made a call for a K9 unit. They also asked me to get something that had his scent on it. I gave them his Elmo doll which he still sleeps with every night and that's when I cracked. What if he's out there by himself all night? Or worse, picked up by someone whose business it is to make little kids disappear? And my last words with him were not exactly loving - how would I ever be able to live with that?

About 45 minutes later, the officer from the K9 unit on his way to our house spotted my son walking along a road about 2 miles from here. As we waited for him to be delivered safely back home, I asked the officer staying with us if the sergeant would have some words for him. Yes, he said, he'll have something to say. Jokingly, I asked if handcuffs would be involved. Keeping his game face on, the officer said no. My husband asked how much it would cost to involve handcuffs. All kidding aside though, it was the most frightening moment of my life and I thank God it turned out okay. Things are back to normal today as mini-me is arguing with me about the terms of his house arrest already. Such is life.

And now that I've almost fully recovered from the shock of yesterday I recall that I never once reached for food during or after. Xanax, crack or glue perhaps, but not food. Maybe my bad behaviors are finally starting to change for the better even if some of ours (mini-me) are changing for the worse (at least until adolescence is over - say, around age 35 at this rate).

5 comments:

Patty said...

OMG, Gigi!! How frightening. I don't have children of my own, but I "lost" my niece for about 10 minutes one time and almost had a heart attack. I can not imagine the feeling of thinking of your child in that situation! I am so proud and happy for you that you were able to get though it with out reaching for the chips!!

Fat[free]Me said...

So glad they found him - hopefully that will frighten him into behaving bettern now (well one can hope).

well done on not reaching for food - I would have done after the fuss had died down!

Shelley said...

Kids...oh the stories we parents could tell! Glad everything worked out ok and good on ya for not stress eating!!!

Marsha said...

Sounds like lots of good realizations for you! My mini-male-me is off to college next fall. The mini-female-me is entering her jr year in college. But after the weekend of phone calls, I'm under no illusion that I'm home free any time soon. I luv 'em fiercely, though!

Big Girl said...

Yikes! That is so frightening...I am so glad things all worked out.