Thursday, April 9, 2009

Rubbing Salt In That Wound Won't Help

I'm on my way to the grocery store this morning and have a big decision to make. To chip or not to chip? Since food allergies were discovered in January, potato chips were the one thing that somewhat filled the gaping hole in my snack world. And for a while it was like fresh spackle. Now, however, I am retaining water like the Hoover Dam and every once in a while when I add chinese food into the mix, I am contacted by Goodyear as to my availability for the Super Bowl. Enough.

I'll try to fill the void with fruit or veggies now that more of them are coming into season. Or I could just try to sit and figure out why I feel the "need" to stuff my pie hole with anything when I'm not physically hungry. In any event, friends, run for cover....the dam is about to break.

10 comments:

Patty said...

Thanks for the warning Gigi!! :-) Potato chips are my worst enemy, and there was a point when I either had to give them up or stop wearing shoes. At the time, I needed to go to work each day and shoes were not optional. As long as they are not in the house, I can't eat them, so I steer clear of the chip isle. But I can have anything on the www.whfoods.org list I want, including anything I can make from that list...sweet potato fries..hint, hint. At least that way I can control the salt and fat. Sending good vibes your way!!!

Tina said...

I love chips. Have you tried a lower salt variety? I know Cape Cod makes some and Trader Joe's has some salt free options too.

Fat[free]Me said...

They are my weakness too and I have had to go cold turkey as one packet is never enough. I am nibbling on small amounts of almonds or walnuts when the savoury, crunchy urge strikes.

Anonymous said...

Chips...omg...I have an on again/off again relationship with them.

But dont do it! They are like the boyfriend who is bad, bad, BAD for you!

:)

Anonymous said...

I cannot keep chips in the house. I think eating fruits and veggies that are coming into season is a great idea, eating junk when not hungry maybe not so much so. I also can't ice cream in the house. I've also roasted sweet potatoes (and regular potatoes, rutabagas, turnips, etc.) in oil and salt, and while it's very yummy, it's still too fattening for me to do on a regular basis and still lose weight.

carla said...

retaining water like the hoover damn :)
Id laugh if it didnt resonate with me so!
for me it's the beef jerky.
love and loathe for that reason...

Diana Swallow said...

I completely understand the need to snack and munch and wanting a starchy carb and people can say its just the need for crunch so have a some crunchy veggies instead but its not the same. Its head thing or a heart thing and figuring out why you "need" those foods is the best way to break the dam for good.

Big Girl said...

I love chips. I love the crunch. I love the salt and sadly, eating fruits and veggies just doesn't do the trick for me either. I'm curious... did you chip?

Gigi said...

I did NOT chip and oh, how I'm craving now. Quitting smoking was child's play in comparison.

carla said...

how was your weekend with all the sweettreats every where?

how are you feeling at the start of this week?