Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Personal Mythology 101

The following are some of my personal myths to which I have been subscribing lately. In an effort to reduce my stress related eating to them, I am currently in the process of bringing them to the cleansing light of day so that I can accept these things I cannot change.

Myth #1) This stay-at-home mom thing is as easy as it sounds.
The Reality: After getting approximately 5 hours of sleep in the past four days due to my son's asthma/croup, I realize that I cannot control things like his health, my sleep, the weather - just the amount of food I put in my mouth when trying to accept the aforementioned. When my only connection to the outside world is the pediatrician, the pharmacist and the triage nurse's hotline, one would think it was time to reassess my career choice. However, borrowing a line from another of the world's most difficult professions, "It's the toughest job I'll ever love" - especially when compensation comes in the form of hugs and kisses.

Myth #2) I am always right.
The Reality: I am often wrong and quite committed to never becoming one of those people who can't apologize when they are wrong. And so, when emailing my brother (see previous post) about why he blew off my party - only to later discover he had left a message on my seldom-used cell phone - I admitted my mistake, apologized and am vowing not to be such a hot-headed jerk in the future (if that's at all possible).

Myth #3) The family dog will always understand not being walked for 4 days in a row while I'm busy tending to my child's illness.
The Reality: I am sleeping with a neck brace on to guard against my lab's potential nighttime gnawing at my carotid in retaliation for no "walkies".

To be continued...

No comments: