As I hung one last string of Christmas lights on the house yesterday I felt so very sorry for the tiny little metal step ladder I was abusing. It is one of the old kind without those numerous irritating warning labels and safety features - as evidenced by my nearly severed fingers from picking it up at the wrong angle and having it slam its sharp metal edges shut tight into its folded-up position...with my fingers inbetween. The house looks nice and with one more string of lights I think I'd be classified as a public utility.
But back to the missing labels..specially the maximum weight limit. Oh, I know I must have been exceeding maximum overload as those two tiny little steps groaned each time I called them into service. I was nervous the thing would give way at any minute and was so relieved when it didn't. How would I explain this to the ambulance crew as they strained to lift my bulky frame out of the snow bank and onto a strecher? But it brought me yet another reminder of the serious work I have ahead of me. I had to put it in the same "I really need to lose weight this time because...." category as the surprised look on people's faces who haven't seen me in a while and don't recognize me underneath all this weight, chairs with arms and restaurant seating getting way too close for comfort, not being able to cross my arms across my chest, leaning in to take a bite of my dinner only to have my enormous boobs actually push my plate farther away from me, etc... And yet for more times than I'd care to admit, I revert back to my old ways, thinking that the magic of Christmas will somehow lighten my load. As if wishing ever made it so.
So I wonder what incidents have prompted you to start on your weight loss journies and have you had any success in overcoming them? And how do you stay focused? Let me know.
3 comments:
I started my journey because a colleague wanted to join WW. I knew I was overweight but had maybe come to accept it. I stepped on that scale the first day and it read 254.6lbs! UGH!!! I'm now down to 178lbs in 59 weeks. Something just clicked this time - something mentally. Sure I fall off the wagon - like I did last week and am struggling to get back on this week. But I have so far been able to always pick myself up and move on to keep losing. I just realised how much I love life and how I was hating my lack of energy for living it. I have a great support group that I go to WW with - two have made goal and are now lifetime members. Staying focused - it helps to keep around my pair of size 20W pants. But it's tough and there is no magic solution...so I try to take it day by day and not overwhelm myself. I'll get to a healthy weight one day...
I'm just starting my journey. It's a little late in the game. I think I didn't want to start before now, because I was depressed about my weight and with a wedding so close, it felt... pointless, like it could never happen. I'm trying my hardest to do better now, not for the wedding, but for a future.
Thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog...this is my first time to yours and from your profile, it seems like we have a lot in common. I'm looking forward to continuing to read your blog and getting to know you better. =)
Post a Comment