For my main exercise I have chosen walking. I like gyms - I just don't like paying for gyms when I know that within 2 months I will be talked about in the past tense. Not to mention it's a little intimidating to be in the presence of so many fit and perfectly outfitted people. I have the biggest need to be there and yet always feel like I fit in the least. Why don't these people do their preening at some fern bar and leave the equipment to those of us who really need it? And while I'm at it, why doesn't someone make decent work-out clothes for fat people? The only thing that's being "wicked" away from me in my 1970's era sports attire is what little self-esteem I have left. This is why I don't belong to a gym anymore.
I'm lucky to have a great treadmill in my basement - and comforted in knowing that it's supported by a concrete floor and terra firma. Every woman my size should aim for full support. I wish I could say the same for my bra but that's an on-going project in itself. Perhaps I should seek government funding.
My walking essentials include:
-My iPod - this actually makes me look forward to using the treadmill - the music helps more than I ever thought possible.
-Crop length pants - something long enough that won't start that embarrassing hike up my thighs and draw further attention to their size. Also, be sure they are of flame retardant material in case thigh friction should create a spark.
-Johnson's baby powder - 'nuff said.
-Floor fan - creates the illusion that I'm actually moving faster than my typical 3 mph.
Some great work-out iPod selections (I'm currently in the mid-alphabet of my songs):
-"Gone At Last" by Paul Simon & Phoebe Snow
-"Heartache Tonight" by the Eagles
-"I'm Shipping Off to Boston" by The Dropkick Murphies
-"I Need to Know" by Marc Anthony (so good you could almost walk to it in stiletto heels)
-"I'm Your Boogie Man" by KC & the Sunshine Band
I'll provide some others as I go along.
Some good news is that I'm starting to feel the effects of having walked 6 out of the past 7 days - 30 minutes at a time for now. It's not always easy. Sometimes I start out walking and it feels like I'm speaking a foreign language for the first time. I push through it altho it sometimes takes as much as 15 to 20 minutes for me to arrive at a comfortable gait. I guess it just serves as a reminder that activity is still not my normal state of being yet.
It's time for me to saddle up now and get the walking out of the way. If I wait too long I won't do it. That is one habit I still need to break.
No comments:
Post a Comment