Wednesday, July 9, 2008

On Your Mark.....

Okay, so if I'm going to be serious about this (as opposed to the other 1,012 attempts) I'm going to get started today. How many times have I said that; especially the night before as I was chowing down a fudge brownie just before bedtime; consoling myself that the day had been a complete loss so what difference would this little treat make? Might as well get as much of that bad eating in before I turn a new leaf the next day. Yeah, right.

Baby steps at age 50 might sound more than a little bizarre but it's one of the few things I've learned from years of battling the bulge. So instead of threatening myself by cutting off all treats and condemning myself to ab crunches and stair master regimens, I am going to start slow. The first thing I did last night before creating this blog was to order two weight loss books (you too?!) for companionship. In spite of what thin people may think, we fat people don't hang out with each other in pods, like whales, so I don't have many friends who need to do as much work on themselves as I do (that's PC for "fat"). Therefore, I thought it would be a good idea to have some company along for the ride - people who have been there, done that and actually succeeded. I've forgotten the names of the books right now but will add them later to give the authors their due.

The second thing I'm doing today is starting a food journal. It helped me a little while ago but as usual, I wasn't able to sustain such a positive activity and once again fell off the wagon. It sounds too simple to believe but it does serve to make me more conscious of what I'm eating and in what amounts. And when I am tempted to indulge, knowing I have to write it down takes about 50% of the fun out of it. Being responsible when I'm trying to be so irresponsible seems to negate the bad behavior most of the time. It is not foolproof, tho, but it does provide some level of accountability.

So that's it for today. I am not going to overwhelm myself with new rules and regualtions. Baby steps.

No comments: