Friday, July 18, 2008

Pick Your Poison - Just Make Sure It Tastes Good

Weigh-in day and it's been another disappointment. Up .4 pounds. Quel surprise! I've been faithful to my food journal and good about getting at least 30 minutes of intentional exercise (experts agree: reclining is NOT considered intentional exercise, even tho it ends in "-ing") but it seems that the food part of the equation has not come together as yet. I seem to be cobbling together whatever food plan seems to strike me as reasonable at the moment - some low fat, some low carb, and some counting calories - but taken together it's just a mish-mash. This, I think, is the focus of my next attention convention.

Just as there are no guilty people in prison, I insist that I am not as big an overeater as my appearance would have you believe. I do not do Big Mac drive-thrus or eat an entire container of Ben & Jerry's Chunky Monkey 2 minutes before bedtime. I indulge in fast food generally once a week and order a BK Big Kids meal (somehow the inclusion of a toy with the double cheeseburger negates the 1200 calories that I'm about to inhale) but that's about it. And, um, we usually have Chinese take-out once a week and my take of it is a spring roll, some fried rice with a puny and unidentifiable protein, and one traditional fortune cookie to finish. We've collectively sworn off the Peking Dumplings as I can almost hear my arteries slamming shut as I take a bite (that exclusion alone should lose me 5 pounds). If I needed to point to any one thing I guess it would be carbs in general - I love pasta, rice and bread and think I must be eating those in quantities too big for my metabolism. The other thing would be snacking at night that seems to be a big deal breaker for me. But sometimes I am legitimately hungry and a nutritionist I once frequented said I should eat when I'm physically hungry. I guess I should select a "good" food versus 5 artificially flavored ice pops.

So what's a fat mom to do? Time to slap some sense into me. I will try to curb the carbs and the nighttime eating. The exercise helps me on almost all levels (except with weight loss) as I'm sleeping better, feeling better and not yelling half as much as usual (something fat and unhappy moms also tend to indulge in).

I feel like I have slipped into that famous Seinfeld episode of George turning his life around simply by doing the opposite of what his natural inclination was. Same with me except in the opposite direction. I have begun a weight loss program only to gain more weight. But unlike my past, the writing and chronicling are serving to keep me on message. Normally by this time I would have thrown up my hands (with upper arms in full-flapping mode) and surrendered. Maybe writing about it will be the biggest difference of all.

No comments: