All signs pointed to a day off from exercise today. The first thing was that I just wasn't into it - at all. Given that that is my standard modus operandi (didn't know I was bilingual, huh?) I pushed through it and went down to the basement to face my dreadmill. I'll admit it - I need to mix things up a bit but being of the non-spontaneous breed of humans, I need much more heads up time to mull it over.
My fan was unplugged. Strike 2 (it doesn't take much). My husband has this annoying knack of cleaning up behind me - sometimes performing such useless tasks as unplugging things that I use on a daily basis. When I bent to plug it in, I noticed that the cord to the dreadmill had been chewed through to the exposed wires! Little Miss Bunny and I need to have a talk. My first instinct was to take this as a "strike 3" for my walking routine and punch the clock. But Little Miss Bunny had only chewed through the extension cord of the dreadmill (damn you to hell!) and so I found a closer outlet (one that wouldn't pop the circuit breaker whenever the dehumidifier kicked on), plugged it in and began my personal Bataan Death March. Okay, I'm exaggerating but given that the weather is still very humid and my basement is one of only three in the Northeast that isn't cooler than the rest of the house, I noticed that my work-out space had developed its own little Phillipine-like weather system. I guess that's where the comparison ends. That and the fact that my sports bra is growing rice.
Maybe it was a combination of "Mustang Sally" and "My Prerogative" on my ipod that helped me get done with it. I think more than anything was the thought of not posting anything positive on this blog that kept me honest. In the past, I surely would've punted my work-out today based solely on the nuisance thought of not feeling like it. I've accumulated a lot of years of excuses and have always disappointed myself by letting my past failures dictate my future successes. I'm just supposed to be fat. It's easier to give up - and I'm disappointed to say that I've been taking the easy way out for a very long time. But turning 50 was a wake-up call. What will I look like and feel like in another 5 years (which are really like dog years after you turn 50) if I don't take care of this problem? I have not challenged myself in a very long time (not just about my weight) and it was too depressing to continue down that path. Challenges are hard but they make me feel more alive. And, I'm guessing here but, isn't that what life is all about?
1 comment:
Good songs on my MP3 player have gotten me through my workouts too. Good luck to you on your journey and thanks for your email.
Post a Comment