Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Change in mid-stream (or is it "mid-scream"?)

I've been debating about whether to make this a weight-loss only blog given my dismal record at updating and - oh yeah - losing weight. I'm getting a little queasy too at not wanting to be identified as just someone whose only mission in life is obsessing about her weight. I think I started down this path when I wondered if I'm just trying too hard to make this one particular thing happen in my life. I know at other times it has happened that way: in guy-world and the job market - as soon as I stopped trying so hard to score the object of my fixation, it more or less landed in my lap. Deciding that my life will go on without whatever my heart's desire of the moment was always wound up to be a pretty freeing - and eventually productive - exercise. Besides, there are so many other things going on in my life right now that I don't want it to be boiled down to just a number on the scale.

I've just started a charity, A Good Laugh Inc., which will provide therapeutic humor to those affected by illness or injury. There is SO much for me to do to get it up and running that I am feeling very overwhelmed and not quite sure where to start. I suppose the thing to do is to just take one thing at a time and soon I will know just what I'm doing and become an old pro at it. I guess the same is true of anything we want to get good at - even weight loss. I will approach it every day with purpose and patience as I work towards a more improved version of itself - and myself.

No comments: