Monday, January 4, 2010

Humiliating Moment #1334

These boots are made for kicking...
(me right in the arse and when I'm down)!



The good news is that we've been invited to a friend's Vermont ski house this coming weekend. I haven't skied in a long while and have rather ancient gear. However, my ski boots must've shrunk about a half size and so my husband convinced me it was time to take the plunge and update my gear.

Two things have been keeping me from doing this: the cost and the fact that to properly adjust the ski bindings, I must provide my weight to a perfect stranger. While I resist spending money on most non-essentials, we did come into a little inheritance late last year and so technically speaking, I wouldn't be dipping into savings. Still, this is a splurge but one my husband - a ski fanatic - has been nagging me to take. I have also made up my mind to get out of my comfort zone this year as I'm beginning to feel and act like an old fart. This also factored big into my finally agreeing to weigh-in in a public area (caution: do not attempt this maneuver unless it is actually related to your safety).

It turns out that weighing-in wasn't my only problem: the size of my calves were too!! Wha..??!! It's true - I couldn't fit my lower leg into the standard ski boot and had to SETTLE for the only pair left in the store that could adjust to my size (and just how much of my overweight life has centered around settling for things I really don't want?!). And they're fugly orange! I had gone too far to turn back now and so just went with them. At least they're too ugly to steal.

Coming into the home stretch at the cash register, I was fully aware that weight had not entered the conversation yet - even though I spied a small scale in the corner. But hey - it's been so long since I've bought ski gear, maybe technology has finally caught up to my modesty level. No such luck. We were in the car just about to pull away from the store and the clerk came running out, needing my ability level, height and, you guessed it, weight. Oh perfect - in front of my husband, no less! Why don't I just undress here in the parking lot - that might be a tad less humiliating. I told hubby to hum a tune to himself and tried my very best to act nonchalant about it to the clerk. Bless him for not saying "whoa!" or "try a salad" in response.

Another negative was that once the boots were off and for most of the day, my varicose veins started in with their primal screaming. Well, none of this was proving to be a very positive experience at all - screw this "going outside of my comfort zone". Except that it made me have a good talk with myself about getting serious again when it comes to losing more weight. The varicose veins are not going away on their own and neither are these continued humiliating moments unless I do something about them. So let's see just how serious I really get.

Thanks to everyone who left a suggestion about jump-starting this fitness mindset of mine that seems to have gone missing over the holidays. You had so many good ones. Jumping in and doing it plus building on one good day at a time is where I'm headed.

Happy Monday!

15 comments:

F. McButter Pants said...

I am sorry. I had to laugh. I was thinking maybe I would try skiing again. Used to love when I was young.

This post and my knee reminded me that it's a fact....I ain't as young as I used to be.

Good luck this weekend! You'll have a blast I'm sure.

Cole Walter Mellon said...

Too ugly to steal... BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That's the way to make lemonade out of lemons, Gigi.

Sevenbeads said...

While you're bemoaning your boots, I'm busy envying (1) that you even know how to ski and (2) that you're looking forward to a wonderful ski trip. See? It's all relative.

Crabby McSlacker said...

I had no idea they needed your weight to buy ski boots!

But however unpleasant the encounter, I think it's fantastic you're gearing up to go skiing. There are so few forms of exercise that people do that are actually fun, and that's one of them!

I need to find something active like that that feels like a treat instead of a chore.

VRaz60 said...

Not fugly...unique!! I remember fondly the days I used to be able to ski. I envy you that. Enjoy the time on the slopes. My days of shussssshing are long gone. I know, oh poor me.

Tina said...

I'm so impressed you know how to ski. I did when I was little but now I'm afraid of breaking bones. I'm glad you at least knew going in that the weight was a part of it. I wouldn't have known and probably would have run screaming from the store. Way to go ski bunny.

Gigi said...

Oh Crabby, I should clarify. I didn't need to get weighed just for the boots. I also got new skis for which the bindings have to be tuned to my weight and height so as not to keep popping open when I'm rounding that last gate on the giant slalom (I wish!).

Anonymous said...

As a kid I LOVED roller skating but, alas I'm terrified of getting back out in the ring. For one, I think it would KILL my knees and ankles and for two...the bigger they are...the harder they fall. And I'm sure some kid would start yelling "TIMBER!"LOL Oh well...guess I've got to start smaller and work my way back up to it.lol Keep up the good work...fugly orange and all...

Diane, Fit to the Finish said...

I'm proud of you for getting the equipment and just doing it. I did laugh at your description of the clerk running out to you in the parking lot. I'm so sorry - I can relate 100%.

You will have fun even in those orange ski boots! Can't wait to hear how things go!

Shelley said...

The last time I skied I was a teenager and "rental" was my boot of choice. Do not remember them having to know my weight, but I wouldn't have cared at that point in my life!

The thing that always killed me about skiing was the way the boots make your legs stay bent - I remember being practically crippled after a day in them. Yeah, I may have been thin, but I definitely wasn't in shape!

Have fun skiing in Vermont in your orange boots. My older son would love them - orange is his favorite color.

K said...

I will be honest, that is why I haven't wanted to go skiing in a really long time. Having to go through all that wouldn't be very fun! But the actually skiing would be a blast! Have fuN!

Anonymous said...

Yay!!! New boots. You should totally get some fab new gloves or something to coordinate to the orange boots. I'm so proud of you for going out there and doing something for you and for you and your man. I'm sure he understands how hard you've been working on your fitness and wouldn't dare say a thing about the numbers. I bet it's great to ski. I have no idea how. I'm a southern girl through and through and love to look at snow through the windows... when we get it.

Larkspur said...

I can't ski for beans, so my attitude is one of respectful awe.

I don't want my husband knowing my weight, even though the entire internet knows my weight, and he is fully aware of the following:

1. I weighed 145 when we married
2. I gained 50 pounds
3. I lost half of that

Guy teaches statistics. Think he can figure that one out?

Orange boots will be easy to find. No worries.

Tammy said...

Just think of how easy you'll be able to spot when you're face down in a snow bank. :) And hell, if you're going to do something as "out there" as snow skiing, I say go all the way!!! How 'bout some orange gloves, orange scarf, orange hat, etc. Go for it!! Live it up!!

Tina said...

I have the same ski boots that I've had for 15 years now and I always take them with me when I travel, even though they are old and ugly, and even though I don't even have my own skis anymore...because they fit my calves and nothing else in the shops fits mine.