Saturday, January 2, 2010

Circuit Breaker


Oh dear, I neglected to think of a way to shut off the holiday party mode and switch into the fitness goal oriented socket. I need a circuit breaker - something to cut off the bad behavior and turn on the good. Call it cabin fever or whatever but as soon as the sun went down yesterday, I was at it like a dog on a pork chop. Yes, today's a new day and I've already done my exercise but I can already feel my knuckles whitening in anticipation of wiping out yet another day's good intentions.

Apparently this time, thinking and wishing doesn't make it so. Rest assured, I am digging deep and reminding myself about all the good reasons to be doing this but am still lapsing. Any thoughts, friends, about how to successfully shift gears?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so there with you. It is hard to switch gears especially when needing to go the grocery store to stock up on healthy food! Off to get going! Blessings in the New Year!

Shelley said...

Keep your water bottle with you and make a conscious effort to drink lots of water all day - not only will you be full, but you'll be so busy running to the bathroom and washing your hands that you won't have time to eat! OK, that was only half-serious...I know it's hard to flip that switch but you can do it! Are there any foods that need to leave your house? Kitchen purge of the holiday goodies? Lay in the healthy foods? Hang in there - just get one good day in and the rest will follow.

Jules said...

Gigi
I would call that the holiday hangover. Changing the way we approach our goals is important. Having a new way of thinking, being kinder to ourselves is important. I have changed from SMART goals to REAL goals and letting go of the all or nothing thinking that sends me running to the comfort of food quicker than a jack rabbit.

Tammy said...

You've gotta' make yourself have that first "good" day. For me, it was the Sunday after Christmas. I made myself only eat 1500 cals that day. Wow, that was hard. But I needed it, because on day 2, it was a little easier, and day 3 even easier. I ate well from Sun-Thur and exercised each of those days. I lost 3 lbs last week. Just takes getting through that first good day to get back on track. Come on girl...you can do this. I know you can. :)

Unknown said...

I know the feeling... When I have days like this I finally have decided that deep down I have to be pulling for myself not trying to do myself in. (I've had enough years of the opposite) I usually set a very small but meaningful goal for the day, then give myself a "hanging in there" reward for accomplishing it. Good luck.

Unknown said...

I know the feeling... When I have days like this I finally have decided that deep down I have to be pulling for myself not trying to do myself in. (I've had enough years of the opposite) I usually set a very small but meaningful goal for the day, then give myself a "hanging in there" reward for accomplishing it. Good luck.

Diane, Fit to the Finish said...

The holidays can be hard to recover from physically and mentally. I know you already know this, but the longer you are in the "healthy mode" the less the holiday food will affect you. At least that is how it has been for me. The first few years of maintenance were a struggle around the holidays, but as time went by, it definitely became easier.

You can totally get back into your groove - just remember every good choice is like a little snowball building into something grand!

Unknown said...

Its hard but I find it best to just JUMP in head first! :) You can do it!

Hollie said...

My tight jeans put me in the right gear! I guess sitting around in my PJ's for two weeks and eating like a fool caught up to me! When I went out on Wed, the jeans were tight, and in all the pictures from that night I look "stuffed". Uh-uh. No way. Time to "switch" into weight loss mode again!

Good luck, and happy new year!

Jo said...

How about a change in location? Sometimes if I just try to get out of the house for awhile (during the witching hour) it helps me change course. Maybe something like skating or bowling? Hang in there, you know you are worth it!

carla said...

for me it is like RIPPING OFF A BANDAID.

yanking slowly makes it worse (yada yada yada dizclaimer this is how I roll :)) so I just DO not TRY.

How about slamming into healthy living gear today and jettisoning as much of the yuckycrap (technical term:)) as you can all at once?

Miz.

Lex said...

Haha haven't we all been there?!

I actually was in a bit of a funk myself, and I needed to kick myself into gear (I'm training for a marathon...), and I stumbled upon something really really awesome.

I've always been pretty active but kinda slacking on the good nutrition stuff, but I stumbled upon this nutritional supplement stuff (like vitamins, metabolism accelerators, protein powder, etc.) designed by a doctor who won the Nobel Prize in nutrition and biochemistry for his work on this program and it has been absolutely amazing.

I am on the weight maintenance/gain nutrition plan since I'm trying to stay where I am or build a bit of muscle mass, but I also know a ton of people who have been on the weight loss nutrition plan and have had AMAZING results.

If you'd like some more info just shoot me an email at AlexiDouvas@gmail.com and I'll shoot some stuff your way!

Wishing you a happy and healthy new years!!!

Anonymous said...

I go do some hard cardio, step up exercise in general for a few days, and it puts me in a better space to get my eating back to normal.

Yum Yucky said...

Not recommended for anyone but me, but I'm trying to invent an electric human neck collar that shocks me every time I reach for a loaf of french bread.

I know. Not helping. Sorry.