It's Not What You're Eating - It's What's Eating You. My View From the Buffet Table.
Wednesday, January 6, 2010
The King and I
Yesterday was my day to visit my parents in CT and what I thought was going to be the usual dull 1 1/2 drive turned into bumper cars and sleigh rides all of the highway about 10 minutes into my ride. Even the though roads are clear of snow, there were lots of spin-outs on the highway ramps and I passed two accident on the highway until I just about became part of a third that happened right in front of me which occupied 2 of the 3 lanes. I slammed on the brakes, felt them lock and started going into a spin. Luckily, I must've caught some dry pavement and tip toed through all the debris just as the police behind me arrive and started shutting down the highway. Road kill isn't how I wanted to start the day. One bullet dodged.
Things went much better than anticipated at my folks' house. Dad was just released from the hospital the day before after coming down with pneumonia and was in great spirits. Their health care worker is now sick as a dog but Mom's hanging tough. The hard part about visiting is that I'm always on red alert when I go down there - I just never know what I'm going to be walking into. There have been times we've had to call 911 for my Dad or the neighbor to help us pick up my mom who's decided she doesn't want to stand anymore and then sits on the floor. Three of us are needed to get her back to bed when that happens. So I'm understandably jittery when arriving - like walking into a room full of live hand grenades. Plus, there's the added sadness of seeing them so ill.
In the not too distant past, once I'm back on the road home and I feel myself starting to breathe again, I feel like I need a treat after that high-wire act I just came away from. And the Burger King has always beckoned from Exit 93. Stop here, he says. I have lots of things that will help you feel better. And I've always responded. It's really quite rude not to, as I've been told. And when I'm done comforting myself with the King and all his treasures (it's called The Whopper for a reason, wink-wink), I find that I've undone quite a lot of the good towards staying with my weight loss goals. Not to mention smelling like fried food for the rest of the day. But not yesterday. I came prepared with a bottle of water and two Kudos bars in the car to help carry me over until I reached home and the safety of a bowl of Kashi Go Lean Crunch and blueberries from Chile. Bullet two of the day dodged.
I was super tired and drained when I got home and couldn't even complete 20 minutes on the treadmill so I made up for it today at the gym: 20 minutes on the elliptical, 15 minutes on the treadmill and 20 minutes on the Nautilus machines. Whew! I feel back on track again.
I'll be getting back to regular weigh-ins this year and Friday will be my day. I've done pretty well this week and hope the number is kinder to me Friday than the past two weeks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
Isn't it just horrible when that black ice is there on those highways? Thank goodness you missed that first bullet.
And congrats on beating the Whopper stop - good for you!
Hope the rest of your week goes as you plan - perfect and on track
Good job on resisting the siren call of BK! Hope you do well at your weekly weigh in. Thanks for the inspiration.
Susan
Whew - I'm glad you didn't crash!
That must be so stressful, dealing with your parents and their illness and aging issues. No wonder you crave some comfort food when you are done! Nice work packing some snacks and getting past the King, although I love the way you write about him!
GREAT JOB with the exercise this morning!!!!!
I feel you. The Wendy's Dollar menu. 2 bucks and you've got dinner before dinner.
Thank the Good Lord you were not one of the participants in the bumper car bonanza. Glad you made the trip bump free. Whew!! Even better, maybe, is the fact you drove right on past exit 93 to the safety of your own "diner". Way to go. They call them "Off Ramps" for a reason, I suspect...they lead you off the healthy eating path. Hmmmmmm.
(dying laughing from the picture and the caption) Glad you survived all the horror out there on the roads - even the fast food!
I'm so glad you weren't involved in one of those accidents! I've never lived where snow is common (well, not in a long time) so I totally don't know how to drive in it.
And kudos on resisting the King! I know first hand how hard that is. It's almost as if the steering wheel is on autopilot!
Wow, what a harrowing drive. And that must be so hard dealing with your parents--both logistically and emotionally. So smart of you to prepare ahead for post-visit with your own healthy snacks!
I think that's just the kind of problem-solving that makes for success in the long haul.
That is a triumph. It is so cliched but so true, stress makes you want to eat something "special" even if the special thing leaves you feeling worse. (MIL leaving today after 4 weeks. Still having DTs). Attagirl on hopping on the treadmill!
That picture is really funny!
I have such a weakness for fast food when I'm on road trips, and more so when the trip is as stressful as yours was. But you planned ahead, and that is the key!!! I have to remember that the next time I'm going to be in the car for a while - always have a snack with me.
Post a Comment