Getting back on track is proving a mightier task than I originally thought it would be. All the stuff that got put on hold while the teen was sick has proceeded with its forward, tsunami-like movement until I am rooted to the spot with overwhelmed-ness (when under stress I tend to invent new words or re-tool great words to make them even better). This has led to some clandestine meetings with the fridge - harkening back to the coping habits of old.
In better days I've preached from my soapbox that emotional eating can be conquered. First you have to ask yourself if you're really physically hungry. Nope (I mean "nope" to asking myself that first - not if I was actually hungry). Then you have to distract yourself with all those other busy things you thought of to keep your mind off the "hunger" until it passes. That would be another no. Then you have to cut yourself some slack and not let a little mistake snowball into an "all hope is lost" mentality; thereby opening the gravy floodgates. I did a little bit better with this as there currently is no gravy in the house and WD-40 makes a lousy substitute.
Okay, blog about it and try, try again. Okay - that's better.
14 comments:
Come on kid! You can do this! Just start from where you are. Let yourself eat as many good for you foods as you want.
So glad to see you're back. I've missed you! Let's go into onderland together!!
You made me smile :) You know what I kind of find helpful? Two things, actually. First, drink water when you're hungry. Drink so much water it makes you sick. It will all pee out anyway. The second is for when the water fails. Obtain a list of all the free points food from Weight Watchers. Those free points, you're supposed to be able to eat as much as you want of it because it doesn't add up in calories or something like that. And eat those when you think you're hungry.
Good to see you back!! Just take it one babystep at a time :)
Fry, fry a hen...I always think of this whenever I see "try, try again" - yes, something is seriously wrong with me, I know!!!
Welcome back Ms. G.
I'm glad WD-40 stayed in the garage where it belongs! You are exactly right in your thought process. Emotional eating can be conquered, but it takes a plan to get there. And for me, it took a long time. I'd do well for a while, and some random stress would occur, and BAM, to the pantry I'd head.
I'm glad you are back on track, and also glad your teen is better. Take care!
I hope you also take it easy on yourself! Take it one meal at a time, you'll get back on track, I promise.
Gigi you are hilarious. Sounds like you are off to a good start!
I'm sure emotional eating can be controlled..but I sure dont know how.
Glad the teen is better.
And why is it when you want to eat from stress it has to be oreos or candy?? Why cant you ever crave a celery stick or carrot??
I have just found your blog and feel the same way! Love the post. I tell myself that all the time.
Emotional eating can be conquered with fun and finding others working on the same thing
I have found if my hands are busy typing, I cant eat! LOL
Keep the posts coming and I will keep looking in on you..
From a gal in the same boat
I love love your writing.
clandestine meetings with the fridge :)
that made me laugh and NOD IN RECOGNITION.
here, when the child refuses to sleep and Im just wipedOUT, sugar from the halloween basket (in the fridge :)) screams my name.
Miz.
You are too funny. Hang in there, you'll kick the emotional eating habit, it just takes patience and acknowleding those moments and then refocus. I have the same issues and I'm starting to recognize them... it helps to say it out loud--once I've acknoweldged it to myself, then I can redirect. You can do this. You're certainly not alone.
WD-40 does make a wonderful salad dressing. Acts almost as fast as FIBER!!!
Missed ya. Glad you've returned to the blogosphere. Welcome home.
I think overwhelmedness certainly should be a word!
Glad you didn't succumb to the "all hope is lost" feeling, that's a huge triumph right there.
I've been lurking on Cranky Fitness for awhile and have now my found my way to you. All of you posters and commenters are great. I especially relate to the emotional eating, which I liken to being in the possessed state like the child in The Exorcist. All the advice - drink water, stop and soul search, take a bath - is completely worthless when the demon strikes. I pretty much need to be bound to my bed and gagged. Fortunately, the demon is visiting less often and I get over it faster, and that's my saving grace.
Post a Comment