Monday, October 19, 2009

"I'll Start Again On Monday"

It's been a while since I weighed in and that's because I knew it would be bad news. I avoided the scale almost as much as I did my diet and exercise. I finally got up the guts to do it late last week and was up about 2 pounds. Grrrr. I have no one to blame but myself. Granted, there were circumstances beyond my control but I took longer than I should have to get back on track. And I still think I'm sabotaging myself when it comes to breaking through to Onederland. The closer I get, the longer it takes me to reach that goal. Time to reassess.

I am still good with the cardio and walk or do elliptical for 45 minutes a day but the upper body weights have been sidelined until I get through physical therapy for my elbow. It seems whenever I start something new to change up my workout regimen, something else blows a gasket - and I am not going overboard with whatever new challenge it happens to be. I start out slowly and build up but every now and then I get a pain that won't go away. And then the doctor wants to wait a couple of months to see if it goes away on its own before prescribing PT; all the while telling me not to exercise it. Very frustrating!

"I'll start again on Monday".....oops, it's here! Hope you all have a good one!

9 comments:

Larkspur said...

Self-sabotage is such a weird phenomenon. I wonder if a barter would work-- "I'll speed and get a ticket, but I'll keep my carbs under 150." Think of all the wonderful opportunies for self-punishment that don't involve food. I think I've been totally missing out here :)

StarvingBitch said...

I know I self sabotage. I had lost about 30 pounds previously and it was as if the moment I hit the 180's I started doing everything against myself. It is so hard to break that habit. What is keeping me at this weight.

Unknown said...

Wow 45 min on the elliptical! when we had gym memberships I couldn't do 5 minutes...and I was embarrassed to try I felt like the whole gym was watching me. lol Keep up the good work!

Diane, Fit to the Finish said...

Self sabatoge is a huge issue and so common. I know it was for myself and for those other people I've had interactions with.

Sometimes I wonder if some of it is fear based. I think it was for me.

Sevenbeads said...

I was thinking what TJ was thinking about the 45 minutes a day ... at anything. I would be feeling pretty smug if I could say that. If I do 30 on the treadmill I'm all impressed with myself.

Anonymous said...

I have done a lot of self-sabotage. I hope this time I am DONE WITH THAT.

My body is also one that blows a gasket at the drop of a hat. What I've learned is that the key to weight loss is in the kitchen, not on the treadmill, bike, weights or whatever. If I control intake when I'm injured or otherwise sidelined, I can still lose weight.

Hang in there!

Unknown said...

I ignored the scale for a while, too. But you know, 2 pounds is really nothing - that's a week's work, if not less, you know!
Take it day by day, girl - you can do it!

VRaz60 said...

Yep, I'm one of those Monday people, too. And as for self sabotage, I could write a book. I've always used the phrase, "Just a minute so I can get the other foot up here so I can shoot myself in that one, too."

carla said...

hmmmm
methinks Im not ok with the
lower body weights being sidelined :)

thoughts?
a few extensions and curls?