Friday, February 26, 2010

Junk-in-the-Trunk Mail

Even though I said I'd never join Weight Watchers again, I got a free membership fee coupon in the mail last week that has been haunting me. Oh sure, junk mail haunts all of us - we can't just toss it in the trash anymore like the good old days. No, we have to open it all up and take out whatever stuff has our name and any other identifying information on it and shred the stuff lest our identities be stolen. But this coupon comes at a particularly vulnerable, low-tide time in my life. I've been stuck in this 3-4 pound zone for ages and know I HAVE to lose more weight. Not just because it's bathing suit and sleeveless shirt season right around the corner - but for health reasons. I can't keep kicking the can down the road on this like I have for the past 20 years. It's starting to catch up to me.

I've been making my own decisions now for years but this one has really got me on the fence. I've succeeded with WW before - only to pile it all on after leaving the program so there's the whole fear of failing (again!). Accountability to myself is only getting me so far right now. The scale nazis at our local WW always have that look about them like they'll beat you to a bloody pulp if there's a gain. That's some incentive. That, plus the financial tie-in: if I'm paying for something, there's always a better than even chance that I'm going to get the most out of it that I can.

I think I know what I'm going to do but would love to hear your thoughts. Please "weigh in".

15 comments:

VRaz60 said...

Before I could type this, I had to scroll down and take another look at my golf partner!!

I have absolutely NO advice on this dilemma. I tried WW years ago and was neither pro nor con on the subject. However, I do agree that when one financially invests one's own cold, hard cash, there is incentive to make it work.

Not much help, I know....now I'm going back and scrolling down just one more time. I may need a 12 step program to cure this!!

Kathy said...

I think you have to consider why you "left" the program. Different methods work for different people, but everyone has to find the method they can live with forever. I am a lifetime member of WW - but am on the "results may vary" end of things. I got to the point I was just rebelling against it - tired of talking about how to game the system and eat fake foods with fewer points than the real foods out there. I was happier with the "core" program - apparently now called "filling foods" - but whatever snapped in my head with the rebellion is still there. I may go back one day - but only if I think I'm ready to commit forever. I wish I could find the balance and leave the "all or nothing" way alone, but I have not been able to do that yet.

karen@fitnessjourney said...

I've never been a member of WW, but if the group is not real supportive (and by your description, supportive they are not, LOL!) I wonder if there is another group in the surrounding area that might be a better fit. Having the right kind of support can make all the difference.

Dea said...

I think the only way WW really works is if you decide that this is how you are going to manage your weight for life. Like anything, once we slip into bad habits, the weight comes back. You might consider another WW meeting this time around - the ladies at my meeting never have made me feel bad about not losing weight or even having a bad "gain" week. Most don't comment at all unless I do first. It works for me and now that my husband is also tracking points and we're getting into a daily routine, I can see myself keeping a food journal the rest of my life. I definitely plan to be a lifetime member this time around in the true sense of the word.

Alison said...

I'm doing WW at the moment and have lost over 55 pounds.
It sounds like you succeed there until you quit, why not stick it out get lifetime and keep going? Lots of lifers in my meetings and many have kept it off over 5 years, they still go.

Jules said...

Gigi, Girlfriend, Funny that you pose this question today. I QUIT WW yesterday. I joined for the support and I lost 10 lbs the first month and then stalled. It went against my grain to "weigh-in" each week. It kept my focus on losing the weight and NOT about eating healthy. (For me, anyway)

If you need support, there is ME, other bloggers, spark people, or other FREE online tools to track and count, etc.

You need to follow your gut and then your heart but I am just letting you know what I am doing. Look at why you left, what did u NOT get that contributed to the gain back. What did work?

You know where to find me!

Sevenbeads said...

WW has been successful for many people so I'd never say never. My own experience was with a mediocre leader who spent every meeting talking about foods and points. She'd have a bag of wrappers of processed foods and would discuss each one. I always needed more discussion about hunger, our relationship with food and how to handle social situations. I felt I was wasting my money. I had lost weight despite WW, not because of WW.

Anonymous said...

If you think it will help you go for it.

If you think joining with make you feel like you are doing something but that you aren't going to apply it and benefit from it don't. Last time I joined WW I let that happen.

Anonymous said...

If you think it will help you go for it.

If you think joining with make you feel like you are doing something but that you aren't going to apply it and benefit from it don't. Last time I joined WW I let that happen.

Anonymous said...

I am currently doing WW on my own at home - I did it years ago at work and find that if you work the plan the plan works but it is not a diet which it has always been to me - this time I am making it a lifestyle change. I am counting points but not eating junk points but more clean eating and healthier foods.

Best of luck with making your choice.

Diane, Fit to the Finish said...

I think it's a reputable program, but I never "connected" with it and never had any success. I always cheated as soon as I left the meetings.

I don't think you have a lot to lose financially, but it sounds like you have quite a bit of worries about joining.

I wish I could help more! I'm thinking of you!

Larkspur said...

You need Foodie McBody for your leader. Check out her blog-- she was skeptical and lost about 30, now she's a real booster and a really lovely, brainy woman. Almost got me to sign up.

I save those coupons too. The truth is, WW is a good program, but they won't do it for you. You still have to do the work. I suspect the right leader is key.

What has worked for me (not perfectly, but better than anything else in almost 20 years) is eating 90% good food, light on the bread, 6 days and then whatever I damn well please on the 7th. Which is an imperfect system but my modest loss does seem to stay pretty much off. Good luck, I'll be following with interest!

Blubeari said...

I have never done WW myself, but my mom took off all of her extra weight and has kept it off, so I will forever be an advocate of it though I'm a calorie counter myself. I also have a friend who has had success with it with initial weight loss, and then continuing without it.

I find that counting or recording of SOME type can really help for people who are good at meeting goals or deadlines- that per day or per week amount of food can be that really concrete goal that a lot of people do well with.

carla said...

maaaan, Im both late to the soiree and dont have any good advice.
For me it took eons to find what would work and stay working (shed about 40 lbs 16 yrs ago).

I second what Kathy said in that Id need to focus on what 'didnt work' last time and why or IF it might be different this time.

good luck and let me know if I can lend a hand or an addition braincell!

MizFit

azusmom said...

I agree with you 100%. I tried WW twice (and went to a few OA meetings; also not for me). I lost weight, but I also drove myself crazy. It's not a good program, IMHO, for people with a history of eating disorders. I started overexercising in order to earn more points and obsessed over every crumb. It works for some, but not for me. Just my 2 cents.