
Many thanks for all your input on the WW thing. As Kathy and Deanna suggested, I did slow down long enough to ask myself why it didn't work in the past and had some cupcake-induced flashbacks. I remember loving the meeting leader but the weigh-in nazis were a drag right out of the gate and SO much of the conversation focused on eating, eating and, well, more eating. I get that some people want to know how to construct a gingerbread house entirely of Splenda and water but not me. I always wanted a more balanced approach of smarter eating strategies, behavior modification and emotional search techniques. But, without fail, it would always center around how to substitute some bad recipe ingredient with apple sauce or some other cooking secrets. I remember now coming out of there feeling frustrated. Other meeting times were pretty much the same. Aside from the accountability factor and the leader, the rest of my considerable needs weren't being met.
Maybe I was looking more for a 12 step program - which I actually tried once, now that I think about it. A friend wanted to try an Overeaters Anonymous meeting so I went along with to see what it was like. Mmmm - it was not my cup of tea. I didn't think I was a real food addict. I think maybe I am only a 6 stepper or something inbetween WW and OA.
Suffice it to say, I'm not going to go the WW route for now. I am going to continue with the food journaling, blogging and exercising. My weight is acting very weird lately - I don't know if all the Advil I've been taking is messing with it or I'm just not paying close enough attention. When I was in full toothache mode, I wasn't exercising because it hurt too much. The pain has lessened and so I've been exercising since early last week so maybe my body's still in slacker mode. Hope it decides to get a little more Denise Austin sometime soon.
12 comments:
Sounds like you need a support system centered around the mental aspects of weight loss more than anything. When you mentioned you everyone talked about recipes at the WW meetings it reminds me that the more people discuss food, the hungrier I tend to get. If you are anything like me, the meetings probably did more harm than good!
I think you made the right decision - sometimes just because something is familiar doesn't mean it's always the best for us.
Glad the tooth pain is lessening. Hopefully by feeling better you will be able to jump back into your healthy-living routine soon!
I think you are on the right track. Just because something works for lots of people, doesn't automatically make it right for everyone. You know what you need to do, what you can do, and what you will do. Go get 'em, girl.
You know, I don't think I have EVER thought about food so much as when I started weight watchers....interesting.
BUT, it is the only way I have ever lost weight too.
Weight Watchers wasn't ever really that great for me either. I just pay more attention to portion control and what I'm putting in my mouth. If it's fresh, it's good. If I know I'm going to eat crap at some point that day as in I'm going out to dinner, I do better for the rest of the day. And I work, work, work at the gym.
Follow up with your doctor- he is the one who got me going on the right path and I've lost 128 pounds to date.
Oh those are so many of the same things I went through. That feeling of frustration when I left the meetings. I think you made the right decision because you took your time and measured the pluses and minuses.
I totally understand where you are coming from. I've joined WW twice. Wish I had slowed down and did some soul searching before I joined that second time. I'm going old school this time: working out, counting calories and teaming up with a friend who has similar goals. Hang in there!
its so hard to know what to do huh?
and youve made the right choice FOR YOU FOR NOW.
you can always rethink it.
xo xo,
Miz.
I've never tried WW, so I can't comment specifically on it. I do have a couple of friends who did very well when they attended meetings regularly.
When I decided to get serious about my health and weight, I can say I already knew how to cook healthfully. What I needed wasn't recipe tips, but tips on how to deal with cravings and bad habits.
I hope your tooth is better -- tooth pain is the worst.
We must have been at the same meetings. My leader would come in with a bag of snacks and processed foods and talk about points the whole time or the old recipe makeover lectures. I needed techniques to use in social situations and how to handle negative self-talk. I get more support blogging than I ever got at WW.
I CAN REALLY HELP U ACHIEVE UR GOAL THE HEALTHY WAY.....CHECK OUT MY WEBSITE AT
WWW.SHOPHERBALIFE.COM/HEALTHYBLENDS
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS FEEL FREE TO CALL ME .....LIKE YOU I HAVE ALWAYS STRUGGLED WITH MY WEIGHT BUT IM HAPPY I FOUND THESE HERBAL PRODUCTS THEY HAVE CHANGED ME
OUR MODEL IS SLIM DOWN SMOOTHIE STYLE....
I GIVE FREE WELLNESS EVALUATIONS AND COACHING ALONG THE WAY...
PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE TO CALL
This is exactly how I feel about WW. I've tried the meeting route twice and the online once. Very food-focused. Instead of trying to balance my eating, I just tried to get as many treats as possible with my points allowance. Not good for me. So, now I'm also doing it the 'old fashioned' way - food journaling/calorie counting and exercise. This is the first time I've done calorie counting that's 'stuck' - if it goes in my mouth, I write it down. If I don't, who am I fooling?? Things are working so far - down 14 lbs since Jan 1.
Post a Comment