Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Where's Mama's Mojo?

Talk about your bad days
Credit: verydemotivational

Oh brother, she's referring to herself in the third person again. All hands on deck.

It's true - I'm having another mojo crisis. It got triggered by the root canal but now it's taken on a life of its own. I used the pain to excuse my lapse back to bad behaviors - you know, "I'll take care of this when everything is right again." And you all know how that attitude can snowball into massive failure. And by the way? "Everything" is never right at the same time. In fact, it often can morph into Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong - and at the worst possible moment. Advice to self: suck it up.

I've gotten stuck on some mental glue that tells me I'm too old to do this weight loss thing and it's become a self-fulfilling prophecy. What was once a plateau now feels like a mountain. When I picked up the old Weight Watchers book I have from one of many memberships long, long ago and in a galaxy far, far away - I panicked! For some reason I just freaked out at having to count and measure again and it all pointed in one direction: deprivation. Is that a signal that I should go in another direction? Probably.

I did the Friday weigh-in and it was up another 1.6 pounds. I knew it would be bad and there's every possibility that that weigh-in didn't account for everything I did wrong in the past week. But it is just one moment in time and totally reversible.

I haven't given up but am getting angry at myself for wasting so much of my time and effort yet again. I'm working on not letting all the little molehills turn into a mountain.

13 comments:

Jules said...

Oh Gigi I am SO with you on this one! The high of emotions on my birthday a couple of weeks ago has lead to the underground fortress of OH AM I too old for this. Along with some health issues with fatigue as the primary symptom and my impending dental work next week. I feel your anger and frustration! But I have faith! The mojo is just around the corner. Hang in there. I'll be hangin with ya!

Julia said...

I have a Mojo giveaway on my blog - maybe you need to win some LOL.

Remember each day is a new day with a clean journal to start over.
Small steps will get you arcoss the finish line.

Julia
http://juliasjourney-finally.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

too OLD?

LOL OMG, I'd LOVE to be 31 again!

hon, 31 is just the beginning. I'm old enough to be your mom, I know.

Cole Walter Mellon said...

You're in luck, Gigi. Tomorrow I'm posting a bunch of tips to jumpstart your mojo...

Just hang on til then.

VRaz60 said...

WOW!!! Too old???? Well, then, I should just give up and sit in my rocker knitting!! I have kids older than you!! :) However, I certainly can empathize...it's ain't easy to do this at any age. And if Julia really has a Mojo giveaway....I want in!!!

Gigi said...

I'm not 31 anymore(that was my George Costanza year). I'm 52 now - ouch! That hurt almost as much as revealing my true weight.

Shelley said...

I started my weight-loss journey at 45, so I think I can safely say you're never too old for this. However, the program you're using may not be right for you anymore. And if you're sick of counting points, etc, then you probably should look for something that you won't resent doing. What about just eating "clean" - no keeping track of calories, etc. Eat whatever amounts of unprocessed, single ingredient foods you want. You might be happier and lose weight, too.

I hope you find something that works, Gigi - because you deserve to feel good about yourself. Hugs to you, my friend.

Dea said...

When I started panicking over deprivation and counting points, I just evenly divided my WW weekly allowance points out over the week to give me a boost. For some reason seeing 28 points at the top of my tracker was less jarring than seeing 23 points at the top of my trackers. It's worked out pretty good for me so far.

Larkspur said...

Would medical terror work? I could issue a fake glucometer with prediabetic numbers on it.

Works for me, though mine, alas, isn't fake.

carla said...

man it is a freakin challenge sometimes huh?
for me the ONLY THING that works is a moment to moment reminder that im only as far away from my misfitmojo :) as making my next choice a healthy one.

hang in there,

Carla

The Sweet Tooth Obliteration Operation said...

Do you remember Liz from the biggest loser? She did awesome and she was one of the oldest contestants they have ever had! You are never too old, my mom is over 60 and works for weight watchers and lost 40 lbs on their program. Just take it one day at a time and think about how healthy clean foods fuel your body and your spirit.

Unknown said...

Come on, Gigi - you GOT this, woman! Use that anger to get back on track. You can do it!!!

The Merry said...

I find Hugh to be a Mojo-inspiration in my life ;)

http://tinyurl.com/yf2pe6q