Thursday, August 27, 2009

Still a Little Steamed


The weather has gone from hot and humid for the past month to cool and crisp today - but I'm still a little steamed.

As I'm sure you're aware, any time you order something online, you are then on a lifetime mailing list of catalogs that chew up about 34% of the rain forest. They're all over you like a cheap suit, like white on rice, like a dog on a pork chop, like a....well, you get the idea. During my quest to find a plus size bathing suit earlier this year (to dismal results), I ordered - and later returned - a bathing suit from let's say "Plus 'R Us" (completely fictional - but hey, I might be on to something here). Anyway, they claim their catalogs cater to women of size 14W to 44W and YET.....all the models in said catalog are no larger than a size 6 and are positively swimming in the clothes. And it's a pretty fair bet that if they have a catalog for misses sizes, they aren't employing plus size ladies to model them. Safe to say I won't be ordering from them again.

Hello - retailers? We've had our share of misunderstandings with you in the past - clothes constructed of crappy, petroleum-based material, sparkles and Disney characters affixed to same, women's departments the size of a closed fist, anything with a size W after it is always on the lowest shelf. Oh yes, you've had your fun with us and don't think we aren't keeping track, because we are. But really, Marketing 101 tells you that when you're trying to attract a particular group of people, it's best to use one of their own - not their polar opposites. You don't have nuns swilling beer, Evel Kneivel selling insurance, Bernie Madoff endorsing stocks or dogs humping cat food (unless, of course, that cat food is shaped like a human leg).
Do you think we wouldn't notice or that we're dumb enough to be tricked into thinking that if we bought those carnival clothes from you, we'd look like a size 6 too? We may be fat but we're not stupid. Stupid is what this marketing campaign is and while we may be overweight, we're doing something about it. However, as the saying goes, stoopid is forever.

19 comments:

Diane, Fit to the Finish said...

Wow! You are so right in your assessment of all of this. The only thing I have to add is that when I was morbidly obese I couldn't find clothes bigger than a 26/28 so ended up making all of mine.

Models that don't fit the clothes in the catalogs are ridiclous. Sometimes even in the "regular sized" catalogs, the clothes look big on the models!

Keeven said...

I have to agree with you. It was really hard for me to get XXL clothes when I was a fat boy. Especially we Asians are suppose to be small physically. And all the department stores here only have up to XL sizes.

Fat[free]Me said...

Tell me about it! They say they use plus size models, but they are all at least 7' tall which makes any item of clothing look fabulous. Seriously, if I were that tall, I would look good in ANYTHING. And as for the yucky material and vile "designs" - don't get me started!

Great post, it made me laugh (and rage slightly), lol!

Tricia said...

Still waiting for some genius to figure out fat people are willing to spend money on clothes that don't look like crap and aren't made to resemble giant flowery boat covers. Seriously, together we could make some designer super rich, so why isn't anyone biting?

Katie J ♥ said...

I agree with Tricia. I think there is a market to be tapped into but no one wants to go that route... puzzling.

Cole Walter Mellon said...

Okay, fine... I'll start a plus-sized fashion catalog retailer thingy.

Taking applications for models. The line forms on the left...

VRaz60 said...

Amen, sister!! Reminds me of a friend of mine (from the deep South) who used to tell me "I may talk slow and have a funny accent, but that doesn't make me slow or stupid." Kinda the same here...I might be overweight, but I ain't buying you're idea of a "Plus Size". I ain't stupid, ya know.

Anne H said...

omg is all I can say to that right there.

Tina said...

I went into Avenue for the first time and everything looked so cute until I realized that everything on display was clipped in the back to make them look small. Don't get me started on Disney Characters and sequins or worse, both together! :)

StarvingBitch said...

Try Torrid.com, they have a store in NH and MA I'm not sure which you are closer too because the MA store is in Attleboro I think so you may be closer to the NH one. They have some nice clothes and definitely big girls modeling and working in the stores.

carla said...

lovelovelove the phrase WE MAY BE FAT BUT WE'RE NOT STUPID.

clients and I would have that discussion so frequently.
so much so my husband almost QUIT HIS FREAKIN JOB to open up a plus sized clothing store to try and fill the void my friends/clients were experiencing.

Miz.

plusstyle said...

Great post - it is difficult to find fashionable plus size clothing without even in New York which is supposed to be the fashion capital ?

Sorry to hear you swimsuit shopping was a flop but I would like to suggest you check out AlwaysForMe.com for your next plus size swimsuit. They have some great styles and they use plus size models - gorgeous of course. My curves are not quite as perfectly porportioned as their models, but at least you can get the idea. :)

Crabby McSlacker said...

Too funny. I guess there must be some universal advertising rule that says to take body size and cut it in half for models. The "regular" clothes are modeled by women who look like they were just released from concentration camps, so I guess the Plus Sized models are Plus Sized by virtue of not being anorexic.

SL said...

TOTALLY hear you on both parts - the rain forest going to catalogs like crazy! And on the clothing thing.

Unknown said...

AMEN, sister! I always shake my head when I see the models they have in the plus-size catalogs. Ridiculous!

Jill said...

I hear you! I am a size 18 (give or take), and I live in a small town in Northern Minnesota. We used to be cursed with a "Fashion Bug", but now we are blessed with the same! Fashion Bug has good prices, their clothes now look better on a human body then they look on the hanger. Just recently, they started offering ALL their fashions in ALL the sizes, and they are ALL hanging together! Now we can all shop together!
In addition, the clothes are cut well, and made of decent material. Of course you still have to be choosy, but it's a little easier, here, now.

Ruth said...

Sorry your order didn't work out. That is the worst when you are looking forward to it getting there and then it doesn't work.

carla said...

swinging by to say you and your comments always make me smile.

THANK YOU.

Carla

SeaShore said...

That picture is from a plus sized catalogue?! Ridiculous, as well as insulting to the consumer.