Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Sky High Dilemma


Reading about Shelley's exciting upcoming Hawaiian vacation had me reminiscing about my honeymoon there 19 years ago when I weighed a scant 140 pounds - for probably the first time since kindergarten. (Once the honeymoon was literally over, however, I took the approach of "once you've caught the bus you can stop running" and packed on about 80-90 pounds: the souvenir that keeps on giving.)

My husband and I were about to take a helicopter tour of Kauai and while we were waiting for the other couple who would be joining us, I took the opportunity to use the ladies room. I returned to the lobby and it looked like we were ready to go as the other couple had arrived. Before the sun comes the rain and my husband took me aside and explained while I was in the ladies room, he had to list how much we weighed so that the weight could be evenly distributed in the helicopter to avoid any problems in flight. "I put you down for 120 pounds," he said. "Is that about right?", he asked as he tip-toed through the minefield now and forever known as "my wife's weight". What's a girl to do: 'fess up and play by the rules or die with a smile on my face?

10 comments:

Diane, Fit to the Finish said...

I remember something similiar when we were on vacation and wanted to go horseback riding. Hubby said, "You are under 200 right?" Definitely I nodded, worried for the horse.

I didn't ride that day, I made up a back inury, and sat in the barn. It wasn't a good experience.

You have a very wise husband!

VRaz60 said...

Diplomacy is an art!! Gutsy on his part to even venture a guess. Methinks my dearest, darling other half would choke and fake a heart attack before answering such a question. Altho' he has no such qualms about announcing my age throughout the land. :)

StarvingBitch said...

Awww you have a nice hubby!

I'm so jealous I wanna go to Hawaii

Big Girl said...

Well, I guess I won't be going on a helicopter ride anytime soon =)

Camevil said...

He had that down to a science, and you were just newlyweds. He's a keeper!

Shelley said...

Good job Mr. Monkey Mama!!!

The few times I've encountered those "have to list your weight" situations or DIE - you know anesthesia, small plane...I considered death. Such a horrible thing - you'd think I would have instantly put down the Taco Bell, but no.

Fat[free]Me said...

LOL, that is exactly why I can only just now contemplate that balloon ride!

T-Rez said...

That is so funny. I told my DH never to comment on my weight and may hair. He found a way around it for the 1st time in our ten years of marriage. He asked me was I preggo. On the one hang I thought it was clever, but the other I was mad as H-E double hockey sticks.

Larkspur said...

Ah, yes, that one. I posted on one aspect of this-- what guys think women weigh. Short ones weigh 110, tall ones 125. Right? Wrong!

We went jet skiing this vacation and even 15 pounds off was a relief, as I could add up myself and two daughters (180 + 135+52) and self plus son (180 plus 185) and we were in the clear both ways (limit 400, whew). To go horseback riding you had to be under 200 ENFORCED BY SCALE plus have a BMI under 31. Yikes!

Patty said...

I went to Hawaii for my honeymoon too, but that was my first honeymoon. ;-/ He wasn't near as smart as Mr. Gigi.