Saturday, August 15, 2009

52


While I was away on vacation (and many thanks for all your good wishes) I turned 52. I don't feel anywhere close to being that old but my graying hair and sporty new moustache are telling me otherwise. I thought I'd share 52 things about myself (it is SO all about me, isn't it?) that maybe shouldn't see the light of day but here goes:
1) I am fiercely loyal.
2) I am shy to the point of appearing aloof until I get to know you - then hilarity ensues.
3) My favorite season is fall.
4) Being half Sicilian (from the waist up), I can hold a grudge like it's an Olympic event.
5) I love dogs.
6) I love walking barefoot.
7) The beach is my favorite place on earth.
8) I used to listen to Barry Manilow in college without being drunk or stoned.
9) I think common courtesy has become uncommon (sigh).
10) I can swear like a longshoreman.
11) I'm generally more comfortable in the company of men.
12) I'm sarcastic as hell - but in a nice way.
13) I'm incredibly impatient.
14) I used to be what I thought others wanted me to be but now I could give a shit.
15) I feel I've wasted too much of my life being afraid of things.
16) I would never be friends with a woman who couldn't drop the occasional f-bomb.
17) I wish I had taken a different career path out of college and now fear it's too late.
18) I worry that I'll never figure out what I was put on this earth for.
19) I love collecting inspirational quotes.
20) I'm scared to death of spiders and snakes.
21) I'll stop whatever I'm doing if "Jaws" is on TV.
22) I love hearing my son laugh.
23) My favorite actors are Gene Hackman and Robert Deniro.
24) I love playing tennis.
25) I'll never forgive my sister.
26) I thought I had the best childhood ever.
27) I wish I were more spiritual.
28) I love to shop for books but clothes shopping is a chore.
29) I love to hear Italian spoken.
30) I wonder why I'm keeping myself so fat.
31) I don't understand why people become less fun the older they get.
32) I love anything written by David Mamet, James L. Brooks or Jane Austen.
33) I love good comedy - Steve Martin, Billy Crystal, Dana Carvey, Monty Python
34) I love "Amazing Grace" on the bagpipes.
35) I'm surprised at how overly entitled my generation seems to have become.
36) I finally realized that critical people are very insecure.
37) I never expected to like blogging so much and meet such great people doing it.
38) I'm a big sports fan.
39) During my (very) single days, my gay boss offered to set me up if I'd only switch teams.
40) I still rely too much on other people's reactions to me.
41) My dream job would be to work with Tina Fey or Kathy Griffin.
42) I appreciate kindness and humor.
43) I love any of the Hostess snack cakes.
44) I love severe weather as long as I'm safe at home.
45) I need to challenge myself more.
46) I am in awe of the people who serve in the military.
47) I'm getting better at not having to have the last word.
48) I wish I were more spontaneous.
49) I love that my husband works and plays so hard.
50) I love making my father laugh.
51) I miss my mother.
52) I had a tough time using "I" so much.


16 comments:

Shelley said...

Happy F'n Birthday, Gigi! (Figured you would appreciate the F-bomb, lol!)

I liked your list - #4 - too funny! #8 - still sing along when he comes on the radio! #14 - you go, girl! #33 - me, too! #41 - could we job share?

Hope this is your best year yet!!!

Ruth said...

Awh, happy birthday! Welcome back from vaca. I love your list. Love #41... Can I come work with you guys too?

Christine said...

Like your list, you could also put...I know myself very well. Up till a few years ago, I couldn't have even started a list. Hope your year is a good one.

VRaz60 said...

Fifty two f'n years, huh??? Good for you. Now that you've done the heavy lifting on the list, all I really need to do is come up with 8 more "I" things. Great list, lady.

F. McButter Pants said...

So glad you are home. Great post. You are interesting...lol. Loved the list. Maybe I will make a list of 49 things in Sept.

Happy belated #52. I am right behind you!

F. McButter Pants said...

I forgot to work f**k into the post. Be my friend anyways??

Patty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Patty said...

Well f*ck, I could tell a lot of those things about you from your blog...esp. the Barry Manilow thing. OK, that one through me for a loop, but I could tell the other ones. :-)

I actually could respond to all fifty, but the one that makes me the most sad is about your sister. She obviously hurt you worse than I can imagine. I wonder if that pain has anything to do with #19,30, or 40.

I'll take you and Shelley over Tina and Kathy any day, and they are f*ckin' hilarious!

Oh, and it is NEVER too late. Have you seen Grandma Lee??

I hope you had a great birthday Gigi!!

Camevil said...

16) I would never be friends with a woman who couldn't drop the occasional f-bomb.

Exactly! If they can't throw some profanity, they can't hang. hrumph.

And Happy 52nd Bday!!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday!!! I loved the list- thank you so much for sharing!

PS Im an F-bomb dropper. lol :)

carla said...

you inspire me.

Unknown said...

What a great list! Happy Birthday!
I'm 1/2 Sicilian too, so we could compete in the grudge Olympics together, lol.

Tina said...

f'n hell...52 years?? I want to be your friend in real life. Happy belated birthday. Glad to have you back.

Lee said...

Happy birthday, Gigi!

So, what are you from the waist down? Something more live & let live?

Big Girl said...

Well, Happy (belated) Birthday! Welcome back and thanks for your list of 52. I love posts like this.

Linda said...

Happy birthday!

and here's to 52 more!