Many thanks for all your good wishes on my last post. I was reluctant to write it because it was such a downer but it's what's been occupying my thoughts for weeks. I haven't been posting regularly because I just haven't felt that I had much to add to the conversation - or was even really thinking much along the lines of taking care of myself. But the situation with my parents is very much out of my control and so I DO have to take care of myself, as I'm sure the times will become even more pressing. Time to buck up!
The rain forced me back into the gym today and I made friends again with the elliptical and introduced myself to the rowing machine. Ethel and Lucy made the rowing a little more difficult than it probably should have been as I can't crouch like I did when I was 30, but it felt like a good workout.
For those of you who feel your emotions are a key component to your weight situation, I've just bought and have begun reading Geneen Roth's newest book, Women, Food and God. I'm still only in the early pages but like how she emphasizes the need to really explore your emotions at your most basic level; emotions like love, fear anger, etc. I love her writing style and am intrigued by this latest book. I have always felt that in order to successfully lose AND then maintain that loss, I had to figure out what was causing the overeating in the first place. Otherwise, it would be like shoveling quicksand. I'll keep you posted.
I have tried accessing many of your sites the past few days to catch up with everyone but Blogger has been glacially slow. It's like the old dial-up days. Anyone else having that problem? I'll keep at it and hopefully will break the code soon.
10 comments:
Oh Can't wait to hear about that book. I was reading some reviews recently and I too believe as you do. Figuring out the WHY! Thanks for sharing Gigi! You inspired my own step out of the invisibility post.
I've read one of her other books and loved it so I will check this one out from my library too. Thanks for the recommendation.
That book sounds really, really good. I'm sorry you have had struggles - I'm thinking of you.
Funny, for me Ethel and Lucy don't bother me on the rower - it's my darn stomach blob - I hit it with the handle every time I pull back! Glad you made it to the gym...now get those girls in line!
Chicken and egg -- some have to know why first, some change the behavior first and as they go through it they figure out why.
I'm one of the latter.
Please continue to take care of you.
I love GR and the day she followed me on twitter I lost my mind with excitement! (and I never looked to see if she follows everyone or not---I didnt wanna ruin it for me :))
take care of you,
Carla
Oooo...didn't realize Geneen Roth had a new book out. Off to amazon.com now.....
Hi Gigi,
So sorry to hear about your dad. Sounds like you're making some headway with issues from your childhood, though. It's kind of scary, as I'm a parent now, how much influence our parents can have on our perceptions of ourselves.
That books sounds like something I should read as well!
I hope you are well and are taking care of yourself. Glad to see your posts!
Geneen Roth has some amazing books. Love her! Another author that can be motivating is Julia Cameron - she focuses on creativity and artists but in some ways aren't well all artists, creating our lives?
I agree with the "shoveling quicksand" idea. I may pick up a copy of that book.
I tend to avoid the rowing machine, idk why it just scares me ^_^
Post a Comment