It's Not What You're Eating - It's What's Eating You. My View From the Buffet Table.
Friday, December 18, 2009
Things That Happened When I Stopped Paying Attention
Geez - when was the last time I weighed myself on a regular basis? Seems like back before "Law & Order" went into re-runs. That's a bad thing when one is part of a weight loss blog community and started out "with the very best of intentions." Okay - there was a time when I hit a plateau and was so touchy as to the scale readings that I stopped doing it for a while to prevent the likely negative psychological effects - also known as "flipping out". And then a few injuries had me scaling back my workouts so I really, really stopped regularly checking the scale. And then before I knew it (3 or 4 months later), I'd fallen out of my accountability routine and am just rolling along like I was in my pre-blog days. Not good.
I am a little scared of stepping on that scale again but it has to happen. I never was the type to weigh every day so I'm not going to get all obsessed about it. I know I will get upset for having dropped the ball and retraced my steps back into Deucetown again but it's time to face reality. Sure, there are lots of parties yet to attend and then the big Christmas feast but it can be managed.
Along with ditching my regular weigh-ins also went my semi-careful eating habits. It seems I have never been able to do many things half-assed - except, of course, losing weight. When I throw in the towel, I throw in the rest of the laundry too. Acknowledging the problem is always the first step, right?
I've already had breakfast and coffee this morning so it will have to wait until tomorrow, as I've always weighed myself first thing in the morning and with as little clothing as possible so as not to scare the dog (who runs around naked all the time, I might add, and it never freaks me out).
Here' to getting back on track.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Yes, ma'am! Remember, it's just a number, not a personality flaw! But I know for myself, I need to keep track of that number just so that I keep focused on my efforts.
You're absolutely right - failure is only a fact when you give up. Everyone gets knocked down, the question is: Will you get back up? You have!
Best wishes,
Lynn
I can completely relate!! In fact, I could have actually written this particular blog entry. (Except the part about your naked dog, I don't have a pet.)
We'll be back at it, but the scale can't rule our lives.
I went through periods of time where I stopped getting on the scale just for all the reasons you've described. But standing on it and facing the music is just part of getting started again. Not fun, but not the worst thing in the world.
Ever since I lost all my weight I am firmly in the daily weigher camp. I know that doesn't work for some people, but it's the best accountability partner I have.
You can do this! You are a strong woman.
We promise not to provide the drumroll.
Good luck tomorrow. Whatever it is, it has nothing to do with your worth as a human being (unless it went down, WOOT!) (JK, JK, as my kids would say.)
You can do it. I totally agree with Lynn, there is no failure as long as you step back up. I'm just getting my game back and it seems like everything becomes an obstacle. I refuse to quit, even if all I'm doing is watching what I eat. I'm going to be doing something! Congratulations.
Totally cracked me up "When I throw in the towel, I throw in the rest of the laundry too."
Good for you for getting back on it! Especially this time of year. Yay you!!
Post a Comment