I hope you all weathered the Thanksgiving holiday with your regimens and emotions still intact. It's always a white-knuckle time of year for me - sometimes things go just fine and other times it's like having a live grenade in the room - I know something's gonna blow; I just don't know when. And unfortunately, I never really know which way the holiday's going to go until I'm through it. As I'm sure you all know, it's mentally exhausting and that mental exhaustion tends to lead to old bad habits like comfort eating. It's comforting alright - right up to that last bite and then the remorse hits you right between the eyes.
This Thanksgiving went pretty well and I'm happy to say I behaved myself around the dinner table. Yes, there was that brief interlude with a slice of pecan pie but I didn't then go on to sample every other pie in attendance. One and done. I finally worked up enough courage to step on the scale this morning and I'm still stuck right where I've been the past few weeks - straddling Onederland and DeuceTown. Not down but not up.
To get myself through the next 30 days I've been doing a lot of reading about how to shore up my emotional stamina. I know how the diet and exercise thingy works but it's the mental part that really turns the key for me. If I can finally teach myself that I'm "deserving" of attaining this goal, I can reach it - as hard as that is to admit. You all have been great at helping me stay on track and I'm so grateful for your encouragement and inspiration. Let's keep helping each other get to where we want to be.
8 comments:
Hey, you maintained, which is quite a feat in and of itself. I know all too well, tho, the month-long minefield walk and endless points of weakness. It does take mental stamina. Keep that brain strong!
"DeuceTown" - never heard it called that, but I love it!
I agree, mental stamina is what it's going to take to get through all of the food-laden festivities in the next month. We can do it - and come out unscathed and thinner than when we started! I am relying on all of blogland to keep me inspired - don't let me down, Gigi!
Maintaining is great! It is a challenging time of year, and getting your head in the right place is definitely a good strategy!
Stay strong - you can totally keep with it and succeed!
It's so smart that you're preparing for the mental battle! You SO deserve to achieve your goals. I suspect you'll defuse most of those live grenades, and if there's a slip up every now and then, then it won't throw you off course. I'm betting you'll get right back on track.
"emotional stamina"
Reminds me of why I name my blog "Endurance Isn't Only Physical". The mental has always been harder than the physical for me.
amen to the mental tenacity.
the WILLINGNESS over WILLPOWER for me...
If I can finally teach myself that I'm "deserving" of attaining this goal, I can reach it"
I love that! It's such a mental opposite from "I deserve this food" to "I deserve to be trim and healthy."
I figure the best way to gird your mental loins (okay, not the best imagery, but work with me here, okay?) is through strength in numbers. The blogland support network is very, very useful sometimes!
Post a Comment