Monday, November 23, 2009

Talking Turkey and Other Stuff

"I think you've got me confused with my predecessor."


No wonder he pardoned the little guy. A naughty little laugh for you all before you start feeling the stress of the holidays hit you like a ton of bricks.

As for me, I am not starting off the holiday season on the highest of notes. While I've still been good about walking every day (elbow is still being worked on at physical therapy), the eating has been off the charts bad. You know, it starts with forgetting to get something for dinner which eventually rolls into going out to eat which morphs into bad choices. I did that two days in a row - clearly my learning curve is skewed downward. The one day of the week that always wreaks havoc with me is when I visit my parents in CT. I leave their house around noon and stop at any fast food place nearby as I'm ravenous at that point and want something for the long ride home. It's a bad habit I've allowed myself to develop and will now attempt to pack a lunch instead and completely bypass the deep fried alternative. It's always an emotional day for me and I'm reverting back to those bad "comfort food" habits I've been working so hard to break.

Thanksgiving Day itself should be a little easier to bear than in the past. My brother is hosting this year so my husband and I, for the first time in 10 years, won't have to take the movable feast from our house in MA to my parents' home in CT. This has always involved my husband leaving our house early in the morning so that the turkey can be put in the oven down in CT. I follow a few hours later with all the side dishes and most favored grandson. The extra special bonus this year is that three of the usual troublemakers at the holidays will not be present and for that I am extremely grateful. This is such an added bonus in terms of my stress levels before, during and after the event that I think it will make a real difference in how I manage the first of the big eating days this holiday season. Here's hoping, anyway.

Hope you're all having a good Monday!

6 comments:

Cole Walter Mellon said...

Eating meals in the car was one habit that I knew had to go by the wayside. Gobbling up something unhealthy just to kill time driving is one of the many factors that put me where I was (wow, I typed "put me where I am" at first, then had to go back and change it).

Good luck getting your mojo back, Gigi. This is a tough time of the year to be floundering...

Unknown said...

Yeah I had a fast food addiction. Seriously the worst thing out there for me. If your able to plan a day with cooking a few meals and even freezing them it helps so much for those last minute choices. :)

Along with Jack, I also wish you luck on getting your mojo back- you can do it girl!!! :)

Shelley said...

Good job rethinking the drive home from your parent's house - packing a lunch will be hard at first, but you will feel so much better. I used to eat (I swear) most of my meals in the car - never met a drive thru I didn't like! And you know what? I can't remember the last time I went through a drive thru. That is one habit that I am so glad I changed!

Sounds like this year's Thanksgiving will be great for you and your family and I'm glad to hear it! Hope you enjoy yourselves!

Larkspur said...

I'm glad you're anticipating a pleasant holiday instead of a tense one. Enjoy.

carla said...

how about when I find my mojo I send you a care package?

I can spare some weight training mojo now in fact!

send me yer address and Ill have my carrier pigeon bring it A-SAP!


Miz

Diane, Fit to the Finish said...

Eating in the car was one of my worst habits. Because for me I'd eat dinner at home and then run an errand and eat a whole dinner at a drive thru restaurant before going home. It was just one of many habits I had to break. (Many, many, many. . .)

You can get your motivation back. Just pick one thing at a time to focus on so you don't get overwhelmed, and treat yourself well. You deserve it.