Thursday, September 10, 2009

Crazy Hungry


Oh my - yesterday was like having a tape worm the size of Philadelphia - I was starving All.Day.Long. It got off to a bad start with the good-for-you but non-filling oatmeal. Fiber - check. Hunger - off the charts. I would've stolen food from nuns and babies. Lunch was high protein egg salad wrap with lettuce. Perhaps it was the Chinese variety because an hour later I was hungry again. Chicken for dinner - another good choice but once again I was starving within an hour and went to bed hungrier than ever.

Days like this have happened in the past and I'm wondering if it's biology or poor food choices. Any ideas, friends?

18 comments:

Cole Walter Mellon said...

I think you've got to throw some snacks in the mix, too. Maybe a handful of almonds or an afternoon apple.

If wife has been trying accupuncture to curb her appetite and swears that it's working. Almost too well, she claims. She says she forgets to eat and almost passes out because she's literally never hungry. Weird. I'd try it put I have a thing against needles. Well, not against needles. Against needles poking through my skin.

Shhhhh said...

I have days like that too and it's usually when I don't get enough protein in. Protein-laden foods are very filling. The days I start out my mornings with a protein shake, are the days I zip through without hardly any hunger pangs.

Good luck!

Camevil said...

Small meals or snacks during the day.

That, or it's a tapeworm.

Or alien baby. I had one of those.

Keeven said...

Well, take a little carb in the morning will be good to push you through the morning. And like what Jack said you need snacks in between your main meals. After all you didn't eat a lot. Starving yourself is not dieting. It only makes you depress and you end up eating emotionally. Always take healthy snacks like nuts, fruits or juice.

Shelley said...

Protein, protein and more protein...and snacks - I usually have some grapes or other fruit, and sometimes some almonds if I'm really hungry. Also, I drink a ton of water - that helps. Plus, if I'm really hungry, I believe that's when I'm losing weight. Good luck today!

Diane, Fit to the Finish said...

This happened to me all the time, especially during the first couple of months.

I think Jack is right when he mentioned snacks. Nuts are great as long as you don't eat too much.

One thing that helped me was if I ate a filling snack with a hot drink. For some reason the combination of the two seemed to really fill me up.

Anonymous said...

WIsh I had a great pearl of wisdom to offer you, but I think I eated it at the Lake. Check out our post from today for clarification :)

The Road Curves Ahead said...

Strange... I am feeling the exact thing. I haven't eaten any differently today. I am work and brought my typical lunch and fruit and I was starving by 9 am, since I am not done until 6 pm I didn't want to eat that early or I would be heading to the vending machines :(

IDK what it is but if you figure it out let me know.

Anonymous said...

I've grown to really love the feeling of being hungry because I take it to mean I'm losing weight. If the hunger is getting in the way of functioning, then snacks are in order, things with protein and maybe even a little fat - that's why nuts are such a good choice. A little goes a long way (that's what she said).

SL said...

This doesn't help at all with your crazy hunger (but I totally know what you mean!), but I'm so gonna do egg salad lettuce wraps.

Patty said...

Oatmeal in the morning never works for me. I am always hungry shortly after. Do you eat eggs? Maybe add a boiled egg?

And the warm beverages seems to work for me as well. And warm broth soups, with some veggies and beans and lots of spices are very satisfying for me. But if you are craving sweets, maybe a piece of fruit and a few nuts for protein would work better for you.

And I have a confession to make...I have stolen food from babies before. Like, who's gonna know? :-)

Big Girl said...

I hate days like that. Drinking water seems to help me. Good luck!

Larkspur said...

Change in weather. Nature intending you to add nice insulation.

Crabby McSlacker said...

My hunger really fluctuates, and I'm lucky enough that if I choose healthy foods I can listen to my body. On "hungry" days I eat more, but it also means I need to listen to "just not very hungry" days and eat less, even if I feel "entitled" to a certain amount at meal times because of habit.

I would find it hard to go hungry for any length of time and would end up rebelling! So my simple-minded advice would be to keep the choices healthy, but allow some extra snacking on hungry days.

I'm a big fan of nuts--lots of calories but filling and nutritious.

VRaz60 said...

I like the snack idea. That seems to work for me. I like popcorn or almonds as a rule. But it could also be a whacky moon phase, or somethin'.

H.K. said...

I sound like I'm a broken record, repeating what everyone else says, but it seems like you need snacks in between your meals.

carla said...

checking back in on you.

hows the tapeworm? (she types cringing at the very thought of one :))

life in general?

Im with shelley. when I have the FEEEED MEs I tend to grab sugars (shocking I know :)) but KNOW I should snag the protein.

Yum Yucky said...

Yesterday mid-afternoon I made a few bad food choices. It had this spiraling downward snowball affect that went on until the evening and ended with 2 plates of Nachos. I was a little surprised at myself being so out of control. Must evaluate and prevent in the future.