Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Plateaus and Muffin-tops


Many thanks to all of you for your great suggestions. The hunger disappeared after a few days and I am close to my most recent all-time low weight so maybe I'll be pushing through it soon.

Over the weekend I took advantage of the big sales at some clothing places. The good news is that I didn't have to shop in the Women's section. The bad news is that the Misses department is like the Miami airport the day before a hurricane hits. Man, talk about the great unwashed. It almost made me want to browse in Women's again.

It was a coolish morning - not cold - and so the a/c was automatically shut off; as was every other ventilating piece of equipment in the mall. The lines to check out were long and slow and as luck would have it, I got behind the woman who was buying 12 items from the $5.99 clearance rack and contesting every f-ing price that rang up when scanned. The incredibly bad jazz for background "music" was really the icing on this crumbcake.

I also noticed a disturbing new trend in fashion: foundations/support built right into the dress. Rather than offer the plus size customer any sizes beyond 14 (and this was a big retailer and there was not ONE dress in the entire store at a size 16 or beyond. Keeping us shackled to those fugly pantsuits I wouldn't dress my dog in), their idiotic option was a petroleum-based garment with that super tight binding spandex that was supposed to smoothe those size 16 and ups of us right down into a 14. Oh yes, what a concept. Talk about muffin-top in the extreme. So much of my fluff was pushed so far down it looked like I was wearing a petticoat. But the real fun started when I tried to take this monstrosity off. Of course, with the lack of proper ventilation, this body stocking had already adherred itself to my ample form. I tried pulling and pushing and considered dialing 911 at one point. This thing needed its own escape pod. I eventually outsmarted the so-called garment with my body parts intact and airway once again unobstructed but my dignity the consistency of swiss cheese.

I bought a few decent things in a 16, which was pretty good for me. But the Wrath of Gigi needed to leave her mark before she left (I so apologize for talking about myself in the third person but I love the company). So I took every size 14 and beyond from the back of the rack or bottom of the shelf and put them in front or on top. Let all those skinny little gym bunnies do some bending and pushing for a change. Let the retailer give the impression that it actually embraces and respects the larger shopper. A girl can dream, can't she?

15 comments:

Cole Walter Mellon said...

One of the bad things about our current economic woes is that retailers are carrying far less inventory than before.

Kudos in moving to "misses"... you're really on your way!

Tina said...

I can't tell you how big of a smile I had on my face when I read about you moving all the sizes around! Way to go!

Shelley said...

First off, I LOVE that you moved the size 14s to the front of the racks!!! And now, congratulations on getting to shop in the misses department!!! What fun, even if you have to shop amongst the unwashed masses. *giggle*

How nice that you are seeing some great numbers on the scale! I'm so happy for you!!!

Unknown said...

way to shake up the store! :) High 5 on making it outta the PLUS size area! :)

VRaz60 said...

Love the rearrangement idea!! Bravo. And referring to yourself in the 3rd person is so very ELMO!! How cute. :)

Kudos on the department change. Juniors will be next, right?

Furry Bottoms said...

Rearrangement!!! I am so going to do that from now on!! Thats a great idea, LOL

Diane, Fit to the Finish said...

I love your passive aggressive approach! Congratulations on finding some clothes that you liked, and didn't get stuck in!!

Anonymous said...

Why are all the 14's always at the back of the rack? I'm glad you rearranged - great idea!

Tina said...

You are so hilarious! So happy for you to not have to shop in the plus size anymore.

Last week I seriously saw Piglet on a shirt in the plus size section at Marshalls. Piglet? Really??? If that weren't enough it had the dreaded Sequins.

Fat[free]Me said...

I love the moving things around game! Heh-heh!

No way about the spandex infested clothing! Sigh..

carla said...

escape pod :)

You are such a great writer I was in there struggling with lack of ventilation and ready to dial 911 with you.

now I need to correct you :)
the 16? pretty good?

I think you had a typo in there:

PRETTY DAMN GREAT is how it was intended to read---yes?

Miz.

Sevenbeads said...

You're really funny. I look for the day that I don't have to shop in the Women's department. At 5'2", I should be in the petite department. Your blog is fun to read.

Unknown said...

OMG that was funny! Good for you for moving the larger sizes to the front! I just recently started shopping in the "regular" sizes again - I wish they made shirts that landed below my navel! Why are misses tops so short?!

H.K. said...

Congrats on shopping in the Misses dept, I did a jig when I was able to shop there!

Patty said...

I just had a horrible flashback to a day when I thought I was going to have to call 911 from the dressing room. I tired to squeeze into a dress that was too small and could not get it off, and I broke in to a sweat and developed the worse case of claustrophopia at the exact moment I got it over my head.

So happy to hear the new low is on the horizon!!