Thursday, September 17, 2009

Catching Up

Hello, friends. It's been a few days of insanity around here and I've missed checking in with you all. The teen had a couple of controlled asthma events and then yesterday was wailing like a cat stuck in the vacuum (hmmm...how would I know what this sounds like, you ask? That's for another post.) because his back hurt. No Mom, it has nothing to do with the cool but bad-for-your-back messenger bag I use or the continued wolf-boy hunch at the dinner table. The boy is wearing me down.

The sick parents are holding the line although my Dad was dropped by Hospice because he recently had a stent put in a carotid artery and so they've made a judgment that he will live longer....except it was his emphysema that got him connected with them in the first place and that's just as bad as ever. Hearts and lungs - they just don't work as well independently as together, you know? I think they're going to take another look at his case.

Under the category of almost TMI, I had my mammogram this morning at 8:30. I practiced all day yesterday by slamming my car door on Ethel and Lucy. And as usual, no powder or deodorant could be used so the teen and I were virtually twins this morning.

I stopped at the grocery store after the mammo and because my clothes were quite loose on me and my weight is back to its recent low, I was in the reward mode. I came this close to grabbing a blueberry bagel from the bakery department - you know, the kind that are the size of an inner tube? But I physically forced myself to look the other way - down the cat food aisle - and cruised past the beckoning bagels. Score: Gigi - 1, bagel - a big fat bagel. I'll reward myself some other way today that doesn't involve food.

One last thing. Could Jillian Michaels have behaved any more like an f-bombing, cat-scratching, raving lunatic than she did on the opening of The Biggest Loser a couple of nights ago? Grabbing people by the collar? That's motivation? Maybe that passes for normal in the Marine Corp or your local TJ Maxx fitting room but from a trainer? No thanks. If she ever laid a hand on me like that she'd be pulling back a stump. I'll do what I usually do for every season of this show - watch the last 15 minutes of the last episode to see all the befores and afters.

I'm off to catch up with you all.

14 comments:

Cole Walter Mellon said...

Is that what I'm missing out on not getting mammagrams? Think I'll stick to the candy-grams...

Shelley said...

"no powder or deodorant could be used so the teen and I were virtually twins this morning" - this made me giggle, so thanks for that!

You should reward yourself with some clothes - look for something blue(berry) colored; then you will kill 2 birds with the reward.

Glad Lucy and Ethel made it through the practice and real mammo!

StarvingBitch said...

I think I would love her yelling at me. I have such a girl crush on Jillian Michaels.

Camevil said...

At least Jillian doesn't do mammos. *clutches boobies protectively*

Blueberry bagels are incredibly powerful. I envy you.

Diane, Fit to the Finish said...

I didn't like Jillian either. I don't think I'm going to watch this season. That's not motivating or uplifting. (Just my opinion)

Great job on avoiding the gigantic bagel!

Tina said...

I had my first mammogram last year and I'm WAY too short for that machine. The nurse kept saying "cant you just get it up there?" I'm sorry but my boobs just don't go above the top of my head.

Loved the visual of Jillian with stump. I love her and she could yell at me all she wanted but touch me once and I'd kick her ass! :)

Unknown said...

OMG - door slamming comment had me rolling on the floor. Twins with the teen as well...

And no Jillian for me as well.

99ToGo said...

Jillian was too much. I hope she brushes/flosses, with all that spittle spewing she does in the contestants' faces. Nice bagel evasion!

Unknown said...

Go get yourself some new clothes, girl!
I snorted at the car door comment, the truth is funny sometimes.

VRaz60 said...

I was just thinkin' maybe Jack should have "little Jack" or "Medium Sized Jack" or "Gigantic Jack" squeezed just so he could truly appreciate the mammogram (MAN-o gram?) experience. Just sayin'.

But the no deodorant comment had me laughing hysterically. I remember those days so well. I actually paid The Primary Child to use deodorant and brush his teeth when he was a teen. UGH!!!

GadgetGirl said...

I thought the grabbing of the collar was more akin to grabbing someone by the shoulders. I know everyone is in a twist about Jillian but just remember we didn't see all the actions of the contestants. Bob seemed pretty fired up too so I have a feeling that we didn't see nearly what we should've when it comes to the resistance the contestants put up.

carla said...

slamming the car door :)

alas I fear youve never seen the show weeds? the episode where they slam a penis in a desk drawer?

the perfect mammogram parallel.

Miz.

Fat Girl said...

Thanks for the post. I love your blog--added it to my blog roll this morning.

LOL about Lucy and Ethel.

Woo-hoo on saying, "no" to the bagel!

Crabby McSlacker said...

Congrats on your triumph over the bagel!

And I hate mammograms, because for most of the year I manage to not think at all about the possibility of breast cancer--but as soon as the technician starts looking over the films a year's worth of anxiety comes out of nowhere and clobbers me. Am always glad when the results come back fine. (Knock on wood...)