Do your weight loss efforts feel a little like a monkey on your back? In my case, it's more like a gorilla. Fay Wray's got nothing on me. That big gorilla hand has got me firmly in his grasp. And if I let him, this big fugly gorilla will get the best of me. But if you saw the movie, you'll remember "twas the beauty killed the beast" - not the other way around.No, I'm not calling myself any beauty but rather am referring to the beauty within us that we've perhaps forgotten we have. And we all have something - a gift, a talent, a way with people, a penchant for kindness - you name it. Whatever your "beauty" is, it may have temporarily gotten obscured by the beast of low self-esteem, criticism, loneliness, frustration - any number of emotions or circumstances that turn us away from our better selves.
Last week, I saw a photo of a couple who I knew a very long time ago. They were in great shape and their smiles seemed to express that not only did they look good, they felt good too. Given I haven't been in good shape since - well, um - 1991, the green-eyed monster made a brief appearance and I started feeling badly about myself. Good Lord, I thought, if they saw a picture of me today, I don't think they'd recognize me! And that's when a light inside me went on. No, I certainly have not achieved the physical condition these folks have, but I have achieved plenty of other things in my life that I've lately been giving short shrift to. I've only been focusing on what I don't have rather than what I do have and it has made my weight loss journey that much more difficult.
5 comments:
How true...
On both accounts...
That Gorilla looms large and takes the life right out of us...
while carrying us around viewing life and the city with longing for release...
grateful for EvERytHinG in my life today!
Timely reminder. It's been a long time since the Gorilla was cut down to size.
I'm so glad you recognized that you ARE much more than your weight. That is a tough thing to get beyond - well, it was for me, at least.
Very true. It's important to embrace all the lovely things about yourself while still being able to tell yourself that there are important changes you can make to improve your life even more.
WISE WORDS!!!
I am more and more realizing that no one can control what happens in my brain but me. If I want it to be a happy place filled with joy and self-confidence, then screw what the rest of the world might think, I get to feel awesome no matter what the picture might look like from outside.
Thanks for the inspiration!
--Crabby
Post a Comment