Tuesday, March 9, 2010

If You Talk About It, You Lose It (Momentum, That Is - Not Weight)


I can't believe it's been a week since my last confession...er, post. I've been working on keeping focused and sometimes it feels like if I talk about it, I lose it - know what I mean? The eating's been pretty good and recorded in the journal, the exercise has been increased by an extra 10-15 minutes and my head's in a pretty good place, relatively speaking. The teen has been providing plenty of drama and "tall tales". Ugh! How do I know when he's lying? His lips are moving. I've heard they outgrow this kind of thing but really - he's either headed for jail or congress - or both.

I've been able to shed about 3 1/2 pounds of that sudden burst of weight I had last month. Whew. Still, it bugs me when I lose the same weight over and over - what a waste of time. I'm still a couple of pounds over my most recent low weight and am avoiding the scale so I won't self-sabotage. I want to get through that number the next time I weigh myself so that I won't feel taunted by it like I do now. Make any sense to anyone else out there? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Hope all is well with you.

11 comments:

Larkspur said...

I have a complex relationship with my scale-- for one thing, I weigh first thing, when my eyes are blurry. Very helpful. I lean shamelessly. (I have a digital scale, but I ignore it.) And finally, I set the bar very, very low. I need/want to lose 20 pounds, but I am still rejoicing over the last 20 I lost. I think of the scale as my friend, or perhaps more like my MIL, who basically wishes me well but doesn't shy away from constructive criticism.

Gratz on the journaling!

Camevil said...

I hear you about the talking too much aspect. There really is some truth to the phrase "just do it."

Cole Walter Mellon said...

It's just the opposite for me. I've got to talk the talk in order to walk the walk. I've got to psyche myself up when I'm down, chew myself out when I stumble and give myself kudos when I rise to the occasion.

Blubeari said...

Makes total sense. I just have to keep convincing myself that this is the time that it's going to work.

karen@fitnessjourney said...

I tend to weigh myself everyday. If the scale is up for any reason-too much salt, a visit from TOM I want to throttle the thing. Maybe I should take a break.

carla said...

I am with you on all this, Sister.

From life, work, family to fitness.

I find when I yammer about it too much (I so am going to ____) it means that Im never going to git off my glutes and DO IT.

Miz.

messymimi said...

Scales are funny creatures.

Ignore them long enough, and sometimes they cooperate.

My 14 year boy sounds like your teen and my brother -- born con artists.

Unknown said...

I hear ya, Gigi. I battled the same 3 pounds for months! I wish I had an answer, but all I can say is just don't give up!

The Merry said...

If the scale taunts you, taunt it right back, woman! It is less than the dust beneath your feet, metaphorically speaking.

p.s. Since it's Friday, I've decorated my blog with the appropriate eye candy :)

Stephanie said...

I know what you mean...sometimes I keep positive things to myself for a while. I'm afraid to 'jinx' it!
9 weight loss

Tami@NutmegNotebook said...

I just found your blog and I am enjoying reading it.

The scale can be a curse,sometimes the non scale victories are more rewarding than the scale.