
I have been sooooo bad at staying in touch and blogging. I credited blogging with helping me lose this initial weight, which is in the ballpark of 20-25 pounds these days. But now it feels like it's turned on me - or more correctly put, I have turned on me. It has provided me so many instances of inspiration from fellow bloggers but now that I've come to a virtual halt in my weight loss, I find myself comparing my results (or lack thereof) with those of others....and it's bringing me down. I am thrilled for all of my friends who are still getting the job done but then I say to myself, "So what have you done lately?" and it's starting to feed on itself more than I'd like (no pun intended for a change). So I'm stepping back a bit, trying to "gain" a little perspective while getting my head wrapped around this again. I know I have the power to do this but feel like I have lost the balance and motivation that once had me moving in the right direction. I'm getting so tired of writing/whining about how stuck I am and can only imagine how dull it must be to read.
I'll still be here and cheering everyone on. Hopefully, I'll be back at it sooner than later if I can get past this self-imposed barrier of self-sabotage. Must think positive thoughts.....
13 comments:
Before I managed to really gain some traction, I suffered through a dozen or more fits and starts... vowing to do better today, flopping back on my fat ass tomorrow.
I'm still trying to wrap my head around what made this time different, and try to write about it in between song parodies and fart jokes, but I suppose it's different for each individual.
I do know that you gotta get straight with it upstairs before the heavy lifting can truly begin.
Good luck.
Someone asked me to blog about this very thing - rather blogging was motivational or not. I'm inclined to think it is! I started more times than I can count. I lost the same 25 pounds over and over, but kept gaining more than I had lost. It was very frustrating.
There's no harm in stalling as long as you are still thinking about your goals and how you will continue to meet them. It's a process to be sure. . .
Take care,
Diane
I lose so slowly it hardly counts. It's like continental drift. But the lifestyle-- working out, eating attentively, working on the "head" stuff (my theme this week is Staying in the Moment, closely followed by Not Trashtalking Myself)-- it all helps defend that 25 pounds. It's all in the attitude, right? I've lost less than you but I am completely thrilled with myself because it feels like such an accomplishtment to me. Anyway, long way of saying, you don't necessarily have to be actively losing to be a good WL blogger.
Ponder, ponder, ponder. I'm having a few of the same issues as well. I have trouble keeping myself thinking about what I'm doing all the time. I know what I'm supposed to be doing, I don't always stick to it like I should. I'm still struggling to keep the same 15# I lost initially off. Don't be gone long, I'll miss your wit and your perspectives.
Every so often I find myself comparing my progress to that of other bloggers. It can get you down when you feel like your wheels are spinning.
Hope to see you back soon.
Comparing your progress to other bloggers is hard not to do, but I know how you feel, as I've done it, too.
I hope that your switch will flip back ON soon and you get back in the groove. Plus I miss hearing about the adventures of Lucy and Ethel!
Yes, the writing can be motivational and helpful in our weight loss efforts. I find I have to have fun with it.
The hardest part of weight loss, for me, isn't the food or the exercise, it's my attitude and how the scale seems to have such power.
I try to focus on the things that help me, like writing, cooking new things, learning to walk all over again in healthy lifestyle shoes and I fall and skin my knees often but that's life.
Now I'll shush. Your thinking!
I try not to compare myself to others on the same journey, but naturally it happens. And it does sometimes get me down.
At the same time, while I am nowhere near last year's low of 215, I didn't gain all the way back to my all time high of 262 either. So somewhere along the way, I've learned to stop and then get back in the game. What I need to learn now is to just keep doing the things I need to do and not stop, or at least not for long. Part of the process has been learning to just relax and eat like a normal person. And be more active. It's slower than an all out battle, but less frustrating as well.
This is a process and like Jack said, mostly upstairs. Thinking is A-OK! Hang in there!
checking in on you.
I have to freely admit that sometimes blogging is NOT the motivation for me. I need to compartmentalize and think of it as merely writing and then focus on FITNESS in a different part of my day.
does that make sense?
Otherwise I slide in to the WRITING ABOUT FITNESS AND NOT DOING IT realm.
email me if you want...
Hey Gigi,
You know I'm right there with you. I'm just trying to hang on tight while I get my head back on straight. You will too - just don't give up!
We'll be here when you get back.
Love the encouragement and perspective these commenters are giving. A good reminder that it's totally normal to get stalled!
I find the blogging thing can either be motivational or demotivational, and I realize it's not about what others are doing, but how I'm feeling about myself that determines how I react. Hope things start looking up soon!
Just think that when you posted news on your blog... think that you are sharing the success you've made not to get ideas from them to avoid comparing to others, that's how I motivate myself :-)
-------------------------------
Fat Stomach
Yes, it is stressing when you compare results from others! I can understand you because I've been there :)
Driveway Gate
Post a Comment