Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Re-start

I'm more than stalled in terms of losing weight - I'm plain stopped. I've been losing and gaining the same 2-3 pounds for what seems like months now. Time to reassess.

While my exercise has stayed constant and kept my spirits fairly high, my diet is in dire need of some attention. I have strayed from keeping my daily food journal - which is what I think led to my earlier success - and I feel I am in full self-sabotage mode. The journaling is easy enough to pick up again - the squirrels in my head are another matter. But as the saying goes, nothing succeeds like success.

When I first noticed that I had stalled I took my foot off the gas a little - maybe I was trying a little TOO hard (which I've never been accused of at any other point in my life). Maybe if I didn't make the weight thing the be-all and end-all of my existence then things would start to happen more naturally. Well, that sure didn't work so it's back to basics for now - starting with picking up my food journal again. I don't want another year to end without achieving this goal. It is certainly very doable but I just need to get out of my own way.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

I think you've got a good plan. Tracking helps keep me in check, that and planning meals. You can do it girl! :)

Cole Walter Mellon said...

The problem with stalling out is that it's easy to slide down that slippery slope from there.

Whenever I've hit the skids like that, it's helped to really examine the tiny details of what I'm doing. I generally can find small things that are holding me back and tweak my routine to counteract it.

Good luck moving forward again.

StarvingBitch said...

I know what you mean. I'm back on fitday keeping track of every morsel that enters my mouth and holding myself accountable. It's very time consuming which I think is why so often we just stop doing it.

Hang tough you're definitely in for a breakthrough somewhere.

Larkspur said...

I don't track consistently though I know I should. I have a mental list of "Full Speed Ahead" foods, "Watch It" foods, and "ONE TASTE AND THAT'S IT." And of course the Oh I Think Not foods, though not too many of them. That way I end up eating fewer calories without having to track. Not scientific though, and of course, slow.

Shelley said...

You can do it, Gigi - let's both be losers for November, ok?

Unknown said...

Well, I can tell from your post that you know where things went awry. Get the journaling started, and give yourself a good talking-to. Think about what made you start this journey in the first place. What was that one, very important thing that forced you to start moving more and eating less? Think about that one thing again, and how important it is to you...or find a new thing to motivate you!!! You can do it, Gigi - we're all cheering you on!

Katie J ♥ said...

I am in the same spot as you Gigi. I got away from tracking and blamed bad eating on the move but I am trying to get refocused and I think you are totally on the right track. Break it down to the very basics and work back up from there. As long as we are doing something positive to keep us moving in the right direction.

Hotch Potchery said...

My journaling has been WEAK at best...a couple of days a week at MOST.

So, I am hoping to get back on the journaling bandwagon...good luck to US!

Sevenbeads said...

That you kept your exercise going is likely the reason you didn't gain a lot of weight. You have half the battle already under control.

Diane, Fit to the Finish said...

It sounds like getting back to the basics to me - and the basics almost always work. You can do this and get right back on track. I think one good thing is that you didn't gain weight but rather just kinda bounced within a narrow range.

You can look at it like practice for maintenance later on! Bouncing within a small range.

Crabby McSlacker said...

I HATE food journals but they really do help. I tend to go into a whole different mode when I'm tracking what I eat, as annoying as it is. But I know for some people they totally backfire.

Good luck with the new plan, and tell the squirrels to take a hike!

Anonymous said...

I can't say I like logging all the food I eat, but it really is a good tool for seeing why and where I'm not progressing. Same for blogging.

I don't necessarily weigh every veggie gram, veggies aren't calorie dense. But I do usually keep close track of fats and proteins. Or if I'm just feeling like I can't be bothered to weigh, I watch portion sizes.

Anyway, basics usually work! Hope the stall ends shortly!

Michelle said...

Whatever came before doesn't much matter. Just keep moving forward! I hear that story all the time, gaining/losing the same few pounds. Frustrating! Keep up the good work :-)

Discover How to Lose Belly Fat said...

Yes, you need to have a perfect diet plan (I can provide that for you) and watch your meals, you should eat healthy foods and do the right exercises! You can refer to my site for more information


---------------------------------
Fat Stomach