Wednesday, August 6, 2008

"You're So Vein" Meets "Catch-22"

After 5 years of cutting me some major slack about my weight, my doctor had finally had her fill. "I want you to walk 30-45 minutes every day. It will help manage your weight a lot better." So would cutting out food from my diet but perhaps I haven't reached crisis mode yet.

I started walking only to have these nasty varicose veins I've had since my high school waitressing days start squawking. The pain and tightness were really bothering me so I went to see her again. She said the heat, humidity and increased exercise were all contributing factors - as well as the extra weight I'm carrying around. Well, duh."How can I lose the extra weight if my legs don't cooperate?" I asked. (And I actually was NOT looking for an excuse to quit exercising this time - I just wanted my old legs back.) She advised me to elevate my legs so that they were above my heart in order to help my circulation. Now if I could only get my legs up over my head I could become a stunt woman for Madonna with my only problem being the occasional STD. Not a bad trade-off.

No comments: