Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Dorothy Wiser Than The Wizard: Or Why It's Better To Be IN a House Than UNDER One


"If I ever go looking for my heart's desire again, I won't look any farther than my own back yard because if it isn't there, I never really lost it to begin with." 

Wise words, but it was hard for me to take advice from a young woman who didn't possess enough fashion sense to know not to wear bobbie socks with pumps.  And ruby pumps at that.  Sorry Dorothy - but that's definitely evening wear! I mean,c'mon - get a glove and get in the game, girl!

But she ultimately achieved her goal, didn't she?  (Note to reader:  Yes, I know I'm dealing with a fictional character here but, hey, inspiration can come from anywhere!)  And she did it by reminding herself that she had everything she needed within her.  She always had the power, as Glinda reminded her after dragging her through almost every circle of hell.  It always seems the test comes before the lesson in real life, doesn't it?  So it makes perfect sense that we mere mortals will go to the ends of the earth to "discover" that "magic" pill, diet, book, whatever it is that will "make" us lose this weight before we stop long enough to examine our own strengths and talents.  And as many of us have discovered, maybe by pure accident, we do have everything we need to succeed.

Back to basics.  

Such an underwhelming phrase with such overwhelming power.  It's what I've finally found in my own back yard.  When I first started blogging back in 2008, I lost 30 pounds just by watching what I ate, keeping a food journal, exercising every day and checking in here with kindred spirits.  Well, then one tornado after another hit:  my father passed away, my family began disintegrating, my only child was struggling, and before I knew it, I had found those 30 pounds and picked up another 8 of their friends.  And then I began to panic:  In terms of my health and avoiding diabetes, I was in the bottom of the ninth with 3 men on and 2 men out.  My past three blood sugar tests came back pre-diabetic; each one higher than the last, and the next one is scheduled for July.  And I flailed about, looking for that "magic bullet" that would undo all the damage I had done to myself.  My doctor even suggested gastric by-pass, which I actually seriously considered until I learned I'd probably have to start wearing diapers about 25 years sooner than I had originally anticipated (just ask Al Roker).

I don't know what led me back to this path of knowing I already have what it takes.  Maybe I had to let the fire of a quick and easy fix burn itself out.  More likely it was walking through some of those circles of hell myself and coming through it stronger than before, but I'm finally getting back to basics.  I'm keeping a food journal again, I'm striving to eat things with just a few ingredients instead of those science projects that are so convenient, I'm allowing myself more time to pursue the things I really enjoy, I'm blogging again (even if it IS only once a week), drinking lots of water, getting lots of exercise, and reading lots of blogs and books.  And I've also developed a couple of mantras that keep me going.  The first is to have more good days than bad, and the other is to make each day (and myself) a little bit better than the day before.

It's going to be a good day today.




3 comments:

Shelley said...

I think you've hit on something...sometimes we have to exhaust all of the "easy" ways before finally settling in for the long haul.

You've got this, my friend. :)

messymimi said...

Yes, you can do this; you know how, and you are ready.

Jules said...

I am SO WITH you on all of this...and of course...THAT is my whole motto...

The Ruby Red Slippers....you have to find it for yourself!